Summer insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still, I think it's easier to stick to the overwhelming standard there and make an insulating sleeve.
Why look for trouble when you don't need to?

You're right, of course.
Those Dadant boxes are pretty big aren't they?

You're right, of course.
Those Dadant boxes are pretty big aren't they?

There are 12 frame, 10 frame and 8 frame ones.

Very few people use 12 frame boxes now, and usually people use 10 frame ones if they aren't moving bees around, and 8 frame ones if they are.

To give you an idea of how prevalent dadant hives are in Italy, when I read articles about the various different types of hives available these three types are described: 12, 10 and 8 frame. Very few articles mention langstroth, top bar and other types, and even then more as a footnote.

...There are two shops of beekeeping equipment I'll be able to reach with a short drive, but they only supply Dadant. ...

Dadant is the standard in Italy. ...

Still, I think it's easier to stick to the overwhelming standard ...

I think you're right - use what others are using. Swienty seems to sell Dadants - listed under Langstroth poly hives. Have you had a look there?

Insulation is not about what bees can tolerate, but what conditions they work best in.

A bee colony is a single organism. Their vitals work in the same temperature ranges as yours do. If your temperature raises by 2 degC, you are in hospital with potential brain damage. If it drops by 2 deg C you have hypothermia and your limbs start dropping off. Yes, bees can survive a great range, but their essential functions -cell division and reproduction - cease outside a range of about 1-2 deg C.

EVERYTHING a bee does, or a bear, or a bat, comes down to their need to maintain their vital temperature in a very narrow band. Plants are the same: photosynthesis happens at 21 deg C in the desert and in the arctic and their whole survival strategy is geared towards achieving that. Bees collect natures rocket fuel because of their sheer energy requirements of doing so on quite a large scale. Anything you do to help means they can deploy their workforce more effectively and maintain a higher level of output.

Insulation is an option for a beekeeper. But if the bees were building their own it would be their first consideration.

Latest posts

Back