Summer harvest?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weekend. The flow here stopped almost a month ago (*about the same time i hastily ordered more supers and frames for fear i was going to run out!), I'm hoping they will have capped what they had and it'll be ready to extract 🤷‍♀️

*Sod's law - the same rule which has meant it's rained every day since my new sun shelter cover arrived 🤣

And July where he is in Somerset can be completely different from July where I am in Somerset, even though we're really not that far from each other (possibly not even as much as twenty miles).

James
Oh yes, the same here. July in my garden apiary is very different to my 'atop de hill' apiary which is 2.5 miles away (almost vertically) 😊

Starting today and aiming to have it all completed by this time next week. Looking like a below average summer crop for us but not bothered as spring crop was good and still have loads of honey from last year in store.

I don't think I will have a harvest this year. I have had to feed my two nucs and two of my hives. It hasn't (well it feels like) it hasn't stopped raining all of July. And just when my apiary was finally starting to build up. Maybe August will be better....... I am not really fussed on honey anyway.

I don't think I will have a harvest this year. I have had to feed my two nucs and two of my hives. It hasn't (well it feels like) it hasn't stopped raining all of July. And just when my apiary was finally starting to build up. Maybe August will be better....... I am not really fussed on honey anyway.
I rarely eat honey either. I do enjoy experiencing different aromas and flavours though. I usually have a tea spoon from each harvest and that will do me for the year. I enjoy the interactions while selling though. Apart from those that want to lift your leg. My biggest enjoyment in the hobby is hanging around in the shed building frames and hives, and inspections.

It’s been a lean few weeks for all but my home apiary who are near lime and phacelia which is only just flowering now. Both the bell and ling starting to flower at my other apiaries and plenty of willow herb so not looking to take supers off for a few weeks at least.

It’s been a lean few weeks for all but my home apiary who are near lime and phacelia which is only just flowering now. Both the bell and ling starting to flower at my other apiaries and plenty of willow herb so not looking to take supers off for a few weeks at least.
We have phacelia here and the bees seem to struggle with foraging on it the white clover and red seem to be preferred.
Have you watched them foraging it?

We have phacelia here and the bees seem to struggle with foraging on it the white clover and red seem to be preferred.
Have you watched them foraging it?
I found exactly the same yesterday. The bees were all over th white clover but not touching the phacelia.

bees were all over the white clover
red seem to be preferred
It is said to be difficult for honey bees to access nectar in red, but that if the first flowering is cut (high-quality silage) they can access the second growth, presumably with smaller flowers.

Bumbles (longer tongue) have no problem with any stage of red or white.

It is said to be difficult for honey bees to access nectar in red, but that if the first flowering is cut (high-quality silage) they can access the second growth, presumably with smaller flowers.

Bumbles (longer tongue) have no problem with any stage of red or white.
Well the one field has been strip graised so second cut if you like but the one mixed phacelia clover red and white hasn’t been touched and as I said on white and red .
Temp was 24 c here today perfect temps for clover , heather flow started today also .

I spent some time at the three stances watching this in the video.

Attachments

• IMG_0861.mov
    15.6 MB
I found exactly the same yesterday. The bees were all over th white clover but not touching the phacelia.
Bloody long hairy plants sticking of the flowers it’s not the best to be worked .
Give me borage any day 🤔
Plan is for a few acres of borage next year flowering in July .

Well the one field has been strip graised so second cut if you like but the one mixed phacelia clover red and white hasn’t been touched and as I said on white and red .
Temp was 24 c here today perfect temps for clover , heather flow started today also .

I spent some time at the three stances watching this in the video.
Envy
A good few weeks since I watched my bees fly like that

Popped out in between showers yesterday. Weather " supposed" to be sun all day today so may squeeze an inspection, may extract if we are lucky to have any honey fingers 🤞
🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝

Attachments

• VID-20230727-WA0004.mp4
    5.4 MB

Latest posts

Back