Suitable hive location

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Villalad1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all I was looking at putting a hive at the bottom of my garden and was wondering if you all would give me some feed back.
As you can see from the foto if iv uploaded it right that is.
my garden is about 60ft long and 20ft wide.
There is a drive way behind the fence for access to the gardens but this has limited use.
So any input would be helpful
Thanks in advance
Mat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Find an out apiary and save yourself a lot of hassle. Close neighbours all around, you will get blamed for anything that stings.

Thanks guys I think you are right about that and Am looking now for a good site for when I get my bees
Cheers

Good man, just remember it's all about location with good forage all spring, summer and autumn, south facing (if possible) some shelter from north & easterly winds, separated from farm and wild animals, not too far from a path, and not on a floodplain. It's not easy finding the perfect location but can be detrimental to your bees health. Good luck

Sadly, I have to agree that it looks a bit too tight.
However, given the height of the surrounding fences, hedges and sheds, the main problem that I'd foresee is your own use of the garden, particularly the greenhouse and shed. You don't want to be suiting-up just to water the tomatoes ...

If you're a BBKA member there should be an email advising they've negotiated some sites with various land owners, maybe some in your area?

have a good look on google maps at your area, you may be surprised at the places you can find.

Odd.

Completely different opinions to what were given to somebody asking the same question

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27878

I think its mainly different people's opinions.

I think that (suburban even) gardens can be a good setting for a few hives of well-behaved bees.
It does however require an almost paranoid pre-emptive swarm control approach, and for sure a "Plan B" evacuation site in case of problems.

Many vociferous posters here would disagree with that opinion!

But in this case, I think it is the siting of the shed and greenhouse that would make it hard to share the garden with even one full hive of bees.

Thanks guys for the feed back glad you all gave me your input.
I understand the advice and will take note and find another place for my bees.
The greenhouse is not an issue as I do understand the space would be to small and sharing that space is a no no and it would be gone.
The shed would of been for my beekeeping equipment and any bee related stuff.
The Maine thing I was worried about was the site and if I would cause any problems.
But I think you have made my mind up about that so thanks and iv got my eyes open for a good hive site.
Mat

How are your neighbours with you getting bees? You have high fences to all sides so as long as your immediate neighbours are ok (1 door either side, they will be able to see hive anyway). My garden is probably a bit longer but not dissimilar in terms of location with neighbours at both sides and access and houses behind.

The greenhouse is not an issue as I do understand the space would be to small and sharing that space is a no no and it would be gone.
The shed would of been for my beekeeping equipment and any bee related stuff.
The Maine thing I was worried about was the site and if I would cause any problems.

Not sure I understand you.

Take the greenhouse out. Put a couple of hives on that spot.
Plant a hedge or put up a tall cross fence/screen so that the bees don't dominate the whole garden.
That could work. (If that's an OK arrangement for you and yours.)
BUT note my earlier comments about gentle bees and the necessity of an available (at short notice) Plan B (evacuation) site in case they 'misbehave'.

Have you talked to any of your nabiors? ? There's a good chance that they'll enjoy the bees too. I set up a hive last spring in my sister's yard after she and about a half dozen of her nabiors asked me. I checked with others that was living close by and none had any problems. It's something to look into

Latest posts

Back