suggestions before petrol!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never mind a propolis dyed suit we need one impregnated with Beequick. @pargyle ?
Now that sounds like a good idea ....Seriously, I rub a few drops of Olbas Oil on my gloves before I start inspections... the bees seem to stay clear of my fingers and move away from the smell. Works for me.

Now that sounds like a good idea ....Seriously, I rub a few drops of Olbas Oil on my gloves before I start inspections... the bees seem to stay clear of my fingers and move away from the smell. Works for me.
yes but only a few drops! some of mine react very strongly to pungent odours.

yes but only a few drops! some of mine react very strongly to pungent odours.
You only need two or three drops from the bottle - it's a small bottle anway - a couple of drops is more than enough to get the stuff spread across both hands. I've never had the bees react badly to Olbas oil - which, I think is mixure of menthol and eucalypus oils,

Cellulose thinners ... now that's something that really induces them to come after you.

You only need two or three drops from the bottle - it's a small bottle anway - a couple of drops is more than enough to get the stuff spread across both hands. I've never had the bees react badly to Olbas oil - which, I think is mixure of menthol and eucalypus oils,

Cellulose thinners ... now that's something that really induces them to come after you.
Thats a novel idea!

I use clove oil - a few drops mixed with another bland oil. Only need a couple of drops of the mixture on top of gloves. Was recommended by a retired bee inspector and works unless colony is seriously stroppy

I use clove oil - a few drops mixed with another bland oil. Only need a couple of drops of the mixture on top of gloves. Was recommended by a retired bee inspector and works unless colony is seriously stroppy
Same sort of smell I would think ...but you are right... if a colony is intent on killing you they won't work... but ideal for normal inspections.

Well that went well.. had a buddy help me as bees so foul.. and supers needed lifting.. Moved hive to far end of the stand- with decent space between. New floor on old site, supers back to original site with flyers from hell.. cb and new roof.. Turned BB 180d - flyers went to supers. Brood box much nicer with house bees , found queen (actually popped her into an observation hive as doing talk in a month so she may as well be useful in a tiny colony).. Repeated with other hive from hell, but killed queen.. So sad as brood pattern great in both, but too sRUDE. Even my bee buddy hadn't witnessed such evil bees. 2 carnoliand arrive Tuesday am, but will check no queen preparation made in meantime.. Now for coffee and brandy!

Well that went well.. had a buddy help me as bees so foul.. and supers needed lifting.. Moved hive to far end of the stand- with decent space between. New floor on old site, supers back to original site with flyers from hell.. cb and new roof.. Turned BB 180d - flyers went to supers. Brood box much nicer with house bees , found queen (actually popped her into an observation hive as doing talk in a month so she may as well be useful in a tiny colony).. Repeated with other hive from hell, but killed queen.. So sad as brood pattern great in both, but too sRUDE. Even my bee buddy hadn't witnessed such evil bees. 2 carnoliand arrive Tuesday am, but will check no queen preparation made in meantime.. Now for coffee and brandy!
Brill. Sounds a great job. More brandy !

Just a point to ponder. When introducing new queens in a cage, I have always release accompanying workers to leave her alone in the cage.. Other beekeepers told me unnecessary, leave all in cage, will be fine.. Your thoughts??

If you try that in a colony with two stroppy hives, look out, can start a robbing frenzy the likes of which you have never seen! Been there and done that! :hairpull:
Yes ,,, I tried it once on recommendation... never again ...every other bee in the apiary was all over it ... lots of fighting going on (and this was not a stroppy colony they were just a bit reluctant to go down into the comb and smoke annoyed them). Just use plain water or with a drop of peppermint oil or lavender oil init or something similar ( Not lemon grass oil though !!).

This morning I read Heather’s message about her nasty colonies and re-queening. I can’t find it now. I wanted to ask you Heather what you are doing with the flying bees in the supers? Will you introduce your new queens with them on? The only time I have bought a queen was in 2017. Killed queen. Carefully followed instructions to the letter, no eggs or larvae. Queen cage between frames of brood. Queen killed.
I have a colony I need to re-queen. Reluctant because 9 frames brood, re-laying cycle back into empty cells good - 3 supers but stinging away from the hive. I‘m considering moving the brood box away to get the flying bees into another box on the original site then killing them.

This morning I read Heather’s message about her nasty colonies and re-queening. I can’t find it now. I wanted to ask you Heather what you are doing with the flying bees in the supers? Will you introduce your new queens with them on? The only time I have bought a queen was in 2017. Killed queen. Carefully followed instructions to the letter, no eggs or larvae. Queen cage between frames of brood. Queen killed.
I have a colony I need to re-queen. Reluctant because 9 frames brood, re-laying cycle back into empty cells good - 3 supers but stinging away from the hive. I‘m considering moving the brood box away to get the flying bees into another box on the original site then killing them.
You don’t need to do that.
Make a nuc up from a couple of frames of brood from that brood box you move. Introduce your queen to that. When she’s laid a little kill your mad queen and unite your nuc.

Latest posts

Back