suggestions before petrol!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds likely - the ASBO colony I have up above the range awaiting a regime change was docile when I first opened in the spring, now they have built up and have supers, they've turned vile again

I had a colony like that last year. They were lovely early in the season, but once we got well into summer they turned into right little baskets. First inspection this year they were fine again, but recently I'm thinking about taking a flamethrower to the hive...

James

I had a colony like that last year. They were lovely early in the season, but once we got well into summer they turned into right little baskets. First inspection this year they were fine again, but recently I'm thinking about taking a flamethrower to the hive...

James
Yeah same here. I have two colonies in one apiary that are huge, not yet swarmed, making honey like it's going out of fashion and hideous to handle at the moment. They were sweetness and light at the start of the season.

Hmmm.. yes probable right.. good thinking.. I will requeen soon , shame as she is a beauty to see, laying well, pattern good.. just a b.....y terrorist!..

This morning I read Heather’s message about her nasty colonies and re-queening. I can’t find it now. I wanted to ask you Heather what you are doing with the flying bees in the supers? Will you introduce your new queens with them on? The only time I have bought a queen was in 2017. Killed queen. Carefully followed instructions to the letter, no eggs or larvae. Queen cage between frames of brood. Queen killed.
I have a colony I need to re-queen. Reluctant because 9 frames brood, re-laying cycle back into empty cells good - 3 supers but stinging away from the hive. I‘m considering moving the brood box away to get the flying bees into another box on the original site then killing them.

n the evening,I trapped the bees in the supers, all blocked in , to move them. Moved Brood boxes as soon as all bees settling. Then stuck supers back on original colonies on new site. new queens in, in a cage. 2 days later , checked and both queens out, and hives were much nicer. A little in my face initially, but I always use cover cloths (not smoke ) over the frames, and they soon just went back to work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back