sugar syrup ratio

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam C Ryan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All , Just a quick question about sugar syrup mix. I have been mixing my syrup 1 kg. of sugar to 2 Lts. of water but even after lots of mixing there is still some sugar that dose not dissolve and can leave a hard layer on my feeders which can clog the feeder up. Is my sugar amount too strong?
Regards
Liam C

did you really mean 1kg sugar to 2 litres water?

Should be 2kg sugar to 1 litre of water.
Or
Alternatively you can mix 1 litre of water with 2 KG sugar
To be different you could pour two pounds of sugar onto a pint of hot water
or
mix sugar and water to a ratio of 2 sugar to one water.
Alternatively just go out and buy a jerry can of Ambrosia or Belgosuc :D

It dissolves better if the water is hot, Liam :)

When I tried using cold water (in my ignorance) I found it never dissolved even though I must have stirred it for about an hour.

I use hot water in a pan, dump the sugar in and start stirring like mad so the sugar doesn't settle on the bottom. It dissolves quickly then and there's no crystals left on the bottom.

And I'm guessing you meant 1 litre of water to 2 kg sugar, not the other way round?

seriously, I've had it on good authority (well', someone on here anyway)that it is better to stick to Imperial measures which has a slightly higher water content thus you don't get crystalisation.

And I'm guessing you meant 1 litre of water to 2 kg sugar, not the other way round?

I suppose too, because it is easy to dilute 1 kg sugar to 2 litre water.

But it needs hot water. And bees like too warm water.

It need not to be totally clear. I pour ofter sugar powder onto feeder bottom that syrup is strong.

seriously, I've had it on good authority (well', someone on here anyway)that it is better to stick to Imperial measures which has a slightly higher water content thus you don't get crystalisation.

Thanks!

2 pounds sugar to 1 pint of water is about 62% sugar by weight. Which dissolves.

2 kilos sugar to 1 kilo/litre water (67%) is a fraction more than will stay dissolved at room temperature.
No great problem with a power mixer and a disregard of the odd undissolved crystal ... but a real pain in a contact feeder.

Hi All , Just a quick question about sugar syrup mix. I have been mixing my syrup 1 kg. of sugar to 2 Lts. of water but even after lots of mixing there is still some sugar that dose not dissolve and can leave a hard layer on my feeders which can clog the feeder up. Is my sugar amount too strong?
Regards
Liam C

Apologies everybody l did mean 2kgs of sugar to 1lt of water , will go with 2lbs of sugar to 1pt of water for the next mix which is tomorrow.
Liam C

or just go with the simple traditional method of placing sugar in a honey bucket, marking the level and adding hot water up to the same level. simples. no measuring of weights or volumes. and no annoying finman.

"2:1" is not by weight. (1l of water weights 1kg). 2kg of sugar in 1l of water will throw crystals at room temperature and below. That might not matter, but will block a contact feeder. The original 2:1 recipe came I think from Bert Manley http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.O.B._Manley and, simplified, is 2lb of sugar to 1pt of water, which is 20% weaker and remains fully liquid down to cold temps. In metric terms, it's 2kg of sugar to 1.25l of water.

Sorry for that out burst but needed it
Yes add some hot water to some lovely white granulated sugar,
For contact feeders in hard water areas use 1 pint of hot water and mix in 2 pounds of sugar
for all other feeders use 1 litre of hot water and mix in 1 kilogram of sugar
Thank you

To keep things really simple:

as 'bulk' sugar ex-Tesco (gawd love 'em) comes in 5 Kg bags, I divide that into 2 x 2.5 Kg lots, and add 1.57 litres of water to each to achieve '2:1' (as in 2 lbs/ 1 pint) syrup.

I only divide up the bag 'cause I use an old knackered hi-top pressure cooker for brewing syrup, and 2.5 Kg's it's limit.

Many's the time I've added just 1.5 litres of water to make the syrup a tad thicker. No-one's complained yet.

LJ

Only just seen the last couple of posts - I use inverted jar feeders over the crown board, and they've NEVER clogged yet. But maybe the reason is that I keep 'em insulated, so keeping the syrup warm - at the same temperature (more-or-less) as the hive. The bees kinda like that - and will take syrup much later into winter ...

Last edited:
Went imperial this morning with the syrup mix , seemed to have worked out fine , delighted I hadn't to ask my *.* friend to do it (by the way who is he ?) Thanks to all for taking the time to advise me.
Liam C

-
Oh dear!

.You have a weighed amount of sugar and then you should measure water...

.ask your wife to do it...she feels herself irreplaceable....as long as you keep bees

Latest posts

Back