sugar syrup ratio(wax drawing)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I need foundation drawn for a nuc , I have been wondering what is best sugar syrup ratio and if better to feed slowly or with a faster feeding ?

I have used 20% syrup. When syrup level rises in cells, bees draw walls.
Almost nothing will be stored.

doesn't really matter. I use invert for everything nowadays (and that's even thicker than 2:1) as I haven't the time nor the inclination to faff around mixing different ratios. Just used it last week on a nuc and they'd drawn the whole thing out in a matter of days.
Don't trickle feed though, just slap it on.

I use 1:1 with rapid feeder. As much as they will take till comb drawn
E

Actually I do not feed at all nucs. I take food frames from big hives.
For example, when I start a mating nuc, I put a brood fane with bees, food frame with honey & pollen, and a foundation.

It is a danger that feeding invites robbers.

In the real world, what is the natural sugar % / vol of nectar .... I understand it can vary considerably 40 % / vol would be the tops ....so the bees obviously manipulate the concentration of sugars to suit ...either by mixing with water, evaporating excess moisture or blending different nectar's

So this could be an interesting science project for you

So this could be an interesting science project for you

Real life science, yes. Nuc's combs will be so full of sugar with these advices that the queen does not have place to lay. ... Experience teaches.

Second thing: You mix sugar to water and you believe that you mimic nature....???

Last edited:
doesn't really matter. I use invert for everything nowadays (and that's even thicker than 2:1) as I haven't the time nor the inclination to faff around mixing different ratios. Just used it last week on a nuc and they'd drawn the whole thing out in a matter of days.
Don't trickle feed though, just slap it on.

Interesting.
If I need to get that foundation drawn PDQ to give the queen more space then I trickle feed a 1:1 mix but there is usually a flow on so not sure it makes any difference.
I move the inner foundation frames next to the original nuc after a few days (which will be part drawn) with those outer undrawn frames. Again leave a couple of days and take the feeder off.
Continue fast feeding a nuc will risk send them into the trees as the combs fill with stores.

Thanks, that answered the question I was going to ask. Installed a nuc into my first hive at the weekend and they're guzzling well!

Real life science, yes. Nuc's combs will be so full of sugar with these advices that the queen does not have place to lay. ... Experience teaches.

Second thing: You mix sugar to water and you believe that you mimic nature....???

Could you use soft candy instead of syrup for drawing comb less stored in the comb ? This has been on my mind as I'm just about to give some to my bees candy that is. I'm making frame feeders with candy in.
Am I right in thinking what ever you use syrup, candy , fondant ect..
Comb will still be drawn?.
Cheers mark.

Could you use soft candy instead of syrup for drawing comb less stored in the comb ? This has been on my mind as I'm just about to give some to my bees candy that is. I'm making frame feeders with candy in.
Am I right in thinking what ever you use syrup, candy , fondant ect..
Comb will still be drawn?.
Cheers mark.

I have fed lots of swarms for drawing combs during decades. No need to make it complex.
Simple sugar from Lidl, and that is all.

Bees do not draw combs to store them. They draw only when the syrup level rises in cells . More common is that they draw combs for brood.

But you may try what you like. Then you see. You loose nothing.

Last edited:
Candy or dry sugar makes no sense. 100% sugar. Bees must carry huge amout of water from outdoors to dilute sugar. Waste of bees' energy.

Even 66% syrup prosessing is very laborous, that bees consume 24% out of sugar in prosessing syrup into combs. Processing dry sugar must be more laborous.

Candy or dry sugar makes no sense. 100% sugar. Bees must carry huge amout of water from outdoors to dilute sugar. Waste of bees' energy.

Even 66% syrup prosessing is very laborous, that bees consume 24% out of sugar in prosessing syrup into combs. Processing dry sugar must be more laborous.

Thanks for the advice finman . experience has tort you well . I've two Q- hives from As split, and a full colony that's about to go on double brood that needs to draw out comb . the hive that's going to double brood has two full supers and is drawing a third . so if I put another box under neath they will need to draw out that box to . my local honey flow is on Hawthorne everywhere metres away from my hives ...
So I don't won't my hives to use all that nectar on building comb .. Is this right 8 pounds of honey to draw out a brood box..?
Cheers mark.

When you have nectar flow on, it is not proper to feed sugar at same time

But I do not know exactly what you are doing and how many foundations you are going to draw.

Decide yourself. This is not difficult.

Bees draw best foundations, when it is flow. Beeks do odd things to get drawn combs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back