Sugar Prices

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plumberman - that might be a fair bit of sugar but i think i can trump that - pic below is 7 days supply of cat, dog and poultry feed (and a couple of bags of litter)

well snotty Tescos have told me it is only a guide price so I have told them to come and collect it. They can change what ever price they want between ordering it and delivery so they tell me. I told them that was crap. What get me is that there is no onsistency between how they are treating everyone. I will now do my best to avoid all dealings with Tescos from now on in.

Tell them that:
One month from today if they have not collected, Tesco will be charged storage fees dated from today at £20 per week.
Two months from today the items in question will be disposed of and Tescos will be liable to £160 storage plus £20 disposal fee.

perhaps this could be raised with watchdog or that bald dwarf.

would make a good TV piece - poor beek doing bit for bees, environment etc etc. nasty tesco not honouring prices having accepted orders.

well Tesco has the unique honour of despite buying stuff from the internet electronically for 20 years now (and large quantities), this is the first time I have returned stuff. Go Tescos, hope you are proud. Been through half my hives today and most are low on food, well done Tescos for your helping Beekeepers up and down the country. What a bunch of utter w*nker$. :beatdeadhorse5: Come on Co-Op, you are were always the bees friends.

perhaps this could be raised with watchdog or that bald dwarf.

would make a good TV piece - poor beek doing bit for bees, environment etc etc. nasty tesco not honouring prices having accepted orders.

Never mind the sugar and bees, its a straightforward bit of consumer-law trashing.
How would it be if they were doing it on beer or washing-up liquid?

But yes, the "hobby beekeeper" would be a nice peg for them to hang the story on.
You aren't a disabled single mum, the widow of a war hero, by any chance?

Tell Trading Standards.
You placed an internet order, in good faith, at the advertised price.
Its not OK for them to change the price WITHOUT giving you the chance to back out. Anything else would be "unfair" and unfair terms in a *consumer* (but not a business) contract are against the law.

If they think they can adjust prices after the order, and still hold you to the purchase, what's to stop them saying "its gone up to £1000 a kilo" ? Or £10,000 or £100,000 or even £1 million.
As a logical principle, it simply does not stand up.

Last edited:
plumberman - that might be a fair bit of sugar but i think i can trump that - pic below is 7 days supply of cat, dog and poultry feed (and a couple of bags of litter)

You need fewer animals, Doc, or to put them on a diet...

Cheeky beggars did this to me as well. Having said that, they did refund the entire £12.60 without any question.

Here is my sugar mountain (beside part of my honey lake..)

(The buckets are 90lb jobs btw)

I had 50 bags delivered to me last night. Well, it should have been 50, but it was light by two. Should have the discount processed today.

:smash:Go, Hivemaker!

[alternatively: "Meet the bees.... Oh, didn't I warn you, they can get annoyed when they don't have enough food?!"]

Hang on, my order amounted to £64.50 which was 50 bags at £1.29. They didn't change the price, despite it now being £1.59.

Never mind the sugar and bees, its a straightforward bit of consumer-law trashing.

Its not OK for them to change the price WITHOUT giving you the chance to back out. Anything else would be "unfair" and unfair terms in a *consumer* (but not a business) contract are against the law.

Not really, you only actually have a contract once you have accepted the goods (and that means in this case merrily paying for them and/or using the items). You have queried the price rise, so at this stage you havent yet got that contract, so they have no contract to break.

Even if you did, what are the possible remedies for breach of contract? They agree to the lower price and you accept - you have a new contract. Or they come and take the sugar away and refund you. You cannot force them into a contract.

A "win" here is either getting tescos to honour their invitation to treat and you get the £1.29 price, or charging them for storage of the goods if they dont collect in a "reasonable" (in law) time. Common sense would say that they will accept the lower price because of the costs involved in collecting the sugar again.

But anyway, what tescos are doing it is a bit shitty but they arent breaking any laws or any contracts.

I shop online loads with tesco and they are very cleaver that they dont actually take the money from your card until they have put the goods onto the van.

if i remeber rightly there is a very small bit in their terms and conditions to say that the price displayed is a guide price and may change before delivery day so may go up or down during that time.

really shitty but thats what a company that takes £7 in every £10 spent on the highstreet. they dont give a sh1t about customer service. they are big enough that they dont need to worry about what customers they upset as they have many more out there.

well over pennies they have lost a high income family that spends a fortune with them due to them being 'shitty'. That is crap business sence in anyones game. We spend loads with Tescos but will now no longer. I vote with my feet and wallet.

well Tesco has the unique honour of despite buying stuff from the internet electronically for 20 years now (and large quantities), this is the first time I have returned stuff. Go Tescos, hope you are proud. Been through half my hives today and most are low on food, well done Tescos for your helping Beekeepers up and down the country. What a bunch of utter w*nker$. :beatdeadhorse5: Come on Co-Op, you are were always the bees friends.

I contacted my local co-op supermarket a few weeks ago and asked if I could purchase split bags. I explained about the co-op's Bee Campaign and the shop floor woman went off to ask the store manager. 2 minutes later the answer was 'NO, we cannot sell split bags we use them in our canteen. (yuk). I then emailed the co-op and asked for permission to collect and pay for some split bags. What a palaver! Got a email back stating that they supported many community charities and couldn't help me. Thanks very much 'Mr co-op bee campaign we are not interested' Had no joy with ASDA either. Only 3 left but having read most of the above Tesco will bee a waste of space! They ALL have too much power!

Co-op at least contribute to bee reseach which is a bonus in my book, I have always treated all with contempt but I must admit that Tescos have almost uniquely (as I am more laid back than anyone I know) got under my wick, and so a strongly worded email has been sent. Perhaps I should take a hive to the store :)

Latest posts

Back