Sudden appearance of Vespa crabro

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Can anybody shed any light on this?
Through the year we have seen the odd hornet. Suddenly two weeks ago we were seeing maybe 100 in and around the garden, flying along a beech hedge to the bullaces and now on the Ivy.
Would the nest mature that quickly leaving the workers with no larval food. Some of the hornets are drones.

Can anybody shed any light on this?
Through the year we have seen the odd hornet. Suddenly two weeks ago we were seeing maybe 100 in and around the garden, flying along a beech hedge to the bullaces and now on the Ivy.
Would the nest mature that quickly leaving the workers with no larval food. Some of the hornets are drones.
I went years without seeing a crabo out and about but last year saw two (one came inside our porch). This year I've only seen one but a couple of hornet mimic hoverflies.
Re your sudden increase - has anyone cleared a possible alternative food source?

This is getting dafter. Our drive is about 50metres long, bordered on one side by a tall beech/hornbeam hedge. There are a hundred hornets flying madly up and down it. Could they be drones looking for queens to mate with?

This is getting dafter. Our drive is about 50metres long, bordered on one side by a tall beech/hornbeam hedge. There are a hundred hornets flying madly up and down it. Could they be drones looking for queens to mate with?

I'm seeing loads about today as well. They appear to be searching for something, flying up and down hedgerows and tree lines. Drones looking to mate hadn't occurred to me as a reason, but queens looking for places to hole up for the winter or just a drop-off in forage might possibly be other causes?

James

I was buzzed by one around 10pm last night when I let the dogs into the garden. It found my torch very attractive. That deep buzz next to your ear in the dark was a little scary.

I'm seeing loads about today as well. They appear to be searching for something, flying up and down r. hedgerows and tree lines. Drones looking to mate hadn't occurred to me as a reason, but queens looking for places to hole up for the winter or just a drop-off in forage might possibly be other causes?

James
Sap feeding had occurred to me but they aren’t stopping. Now and then I see quite a few in the Ivy topping up. Then they disappear back to the hedge.

Looking for protein food, Searching out prey or caterpillers to feed for sexuals being reared ?

Unusual for where I live I saw a worker hornet in the garden today , seldom do I see them in town here.

The European hornet I saw at the weekend was paying the q- nuc particular attention. It was still taking bees.

Only seen a few this year and none for a several weeks. Lots of wasps in my hornet trap but no hornets.

Attachments

• IMG_0207 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0207 (1).jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Heard the unmistakable sound while working in the garden this morning and caught sight as she headed towards the trees. By the size of it, probably a new queen.

I thought I saw a queen hornet today too. Definitely it appeared to be noticeably larger than the ones I've seen buzzing about over the last few days.

James

Latest posts

Back