Sublimox modification

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the last two years the fight against varroa has been made with the use of oxalic acid and in particular with its sublimation. A battle with very good results as the sublimation is best accomplished with a modern Sublimox machine.

In this post I will mention some interventions - improvements made to the machine after two years of use. First I placed under the boiler a hook that secures the machine to the blister after I chose to channel oxalic acid from the side of my working base.

Secondly, the boiler is coated with a titanium thermal insulator for less heat loss to the environment and better sublimation at very low ambient temperatures.

Thirdly the removal of the part given by the manufacturer to supply the device with oxalic acid, and the construction of an aluminum cuff with two o-ring temperature-ready to receive a 3/4 valve.

This reduces the machine's oxalate feed time greatly. And fourthly, the boiler base is strengthened so that it can withstand the operating pressure of the valve.

For the last two years the fight against varroa has been made with the use of oxalic acid and in particular with its sublimation. A battle with very good results as the sublimation is best accomplished with a modern Sublimox machine.

In this post I will mention some interventions - improvements made to the machine after two years of use. First I placed under the boiler a hook that secures the machine to the blister after I chose to channel oxalic acid from the side of my working base.

Secondly, the boiler is coated with a titanium thermal insulator for less heat loss to the environment and better sublimation at very low ambient temperatures.

Thirdly the removal of the part given by the manufacturer to supply the device with oxalic acid, and the construction of an aluminum cuff with two o-ring temperature-ready to receive a 3/4 valve.

This reduces the machine's oxalate feed time greatly. And fourthly, the boiler base is strengthened so that it can withstand the operating pressure of the valve.

Jeesuus...and you were all concerned about a simple multifunctional crown board :)

He used Google Translate to translate the Greek webpage and what he posted was the result.

I've seen the manifold wrap done before on some of the American versions which seems like a good mod, not sure about the fork thing as I run poly floors and I imagine it would leaves gouges on them.

First thing I did to mine was add a few drops of thread locker to the screw at the bottom as per The Apiarists recommendation. https://theapiarist.org/sublimox-spares-and-repairs/

He used Google Translate to translate the Greek webpage and what he posted was the result.

I've seen the manifold wrap done before on some of the American versions which seems like a good mod, not sure about the fork thing as I run poly floors and I imagine it would leaves gouges on them.

First thing I did to mine was add a few drops of thread locker to the screw at the bottom as per The Apiarists recommendation. https://theapiarist.org/sublimox-spares-and-repairs/

Ive just read that...thanks.
Does everybody have the thing hooked up to an RCD? I hadn't even considered that

Ive just read that...thanks.
Does everybody have the thing hooked up to an RCD? I hadn't even considered that

I was talking to a very nice man today who is a commercial beek and he has had enough of the Varrox...Amitraz /Apitraz is the way forward with OA strips inbetween ..

My customers would disappear if they found out I used Apitraz, and having just read up on the toxicity of amitraz (the ingredient in Apitraz) in mammals I'd agree with them.

The Sublimox is not perfect, and ApiBioxal prevents it delivering efficiently, but it would be useful to know his specific reasons for rejecting it. Three of us get through about 350-odd colonies a season, all told, and have found it works more efficiently when used by pairs of beekeepers (one to re-load) and that a fizzy drink in the pan will clear out the sugar that blocks the pan and pipe.

I was talking to a very nice man today who is a commercial beek and he has had enough of the Varrox...Amitraz /Apitraz is the way forward with OA strips inbetween ..

Evil stuff Amitraz and should be under the same provisions now laid down for licenced pesticides use.

https://adc.bmj.com/content/88/2/130

Have started a new thread under Pesticides/ politica etc if this subject is too sensitive for some here!

Mods... please delete this post from this thread if you feel it will lead to the usual bun fight

Last edited:

I can see why if he has hundreds of hives.
I have six. The sublimox is easy.
I am mighty uncomfortable with putting something as toxic as Amitraz in the hives then selling on the honey.
I can just see the headlines in my local permaculture magazine .... “beekeeper uses sheep dip in her beehives”

Depends on how much he’s paying for the strips really and they will have to watch for resistance at some point, so tell him not to launch the vape to far.

Latest posts

Back