stupid girls

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeogi75

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15 nationals
in my garden i have two bird baths and one water feature with fountain, so there is plenty of water, but my girls go for the corner of plastic doors not too bad, but they also drink from my drain grate, how can i stop them drinking dirty water, i keep the drain as clean as i can even tried covering it any ideas

You could always try putting some disgusting water closer to the hive than the drain grate. Sometimes animals like stinky water rather than the fashionably clean stuff....

have tried pond water in tray near hive ,tried bleaching drain but worried it would kill them so scrubbed out again

i can sen u a pile of organic chicken **** for them yeogi if u want it.

in my garden i have two bird baths and one water feature with fountain, so there is plenty of water, but my girls go for the corner of plastic doors not too bad, but they also drink from my drain grate, how can i stop them drinking dirty water, i keep the drain as clean as i can even tried covering it any ideas

just leave them to get on with it themselves, they know best. Would you accept which pint they say to drink? :)

in my garden i have two bird baths and one water feature with fountain, so there is plenty of water, but my girls go for the corner of plastic doors not too bad, but they also drink from my drain grate, how can i stop them drinking dirty water ...

Why do you need to stop them drinking that water?

They drink from almost anywhere, and from many places that would be dangerous for humans, especially near animals, but, as far as I know, the honey they produce is near as dammit sterile.

They are not stupid as derekm has mentioned its probably the slightly warmer water that is attractive along with a few minerals perhaps. If you stop them drinking from your drain they can easily target your neighbours.

If you put water out for the bees fill it with something dark or even black, peat, moss, compost ect this will absorb heat and warm the water, also don’t arrange it so bees can fall into the water much better if the bees can suck up the water from a damp surface

I leave an old damp grobag for them.

Latest posts

Back