Strawberries

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
14kgs of strawberries off my allotment so far.....a very good year considering I've done nothing with them.....(I have them under cloches to warm and ripen them!), I'm actually getting strawberried out!!!! Last year only managed 12kg....and still have three rows (5m) to ripen...

I get slugs, snails and birds eating them, but so what with so many, I grow enough for them and me!

Make jam? Strawberry and gooseberry jam is a marriage made in heaven. I part gooseberry to 3 parts Strawberry :)

Won't do fox's but the 12 bore will!

Hi, thanks Enrico - I wasn't thinking as big as a fox - my mistake, I threw the fox into the equation - but that one isn't a problem, (as long as it doesn't eat the cabbages :rolleyes:). It's the Basils/Rolands that are the issue, along with the others

Oh..... Yes an air rifle will take a Roland out with no problem. I must be older than you I thought you meant basil brush :)

E

Oh..... . I must be older than you I thought you meant basil brush :)

E

Nah, doubt it. But it was the biscuit tin that got me on to Basil the rat, sorry hhamster. BB was not a highlight in my childhood, I found him scary - unlike the fox that used to guard me at night...from the sheep that stood at the end of my bed, dressed in - oh 'eck, better stop there...

My Blackcurrants are almost ripe, you can't beat banana and blackcurrant jam sandwiches.

My Blackcurrants are almost ripe, you can't beat banana and blackcurrant jam sandwiches.

Home made strawberry jam and banana comes a close second ... never seem to get enough blackcurrants to make jam ... very cunning blackbirds are the usual culprits ... one day I will invest in a fruit cage for the blackcurrants !

Make jam? Strawberry and gooseberry jam is a marriage made in heaven. I part gooseberry to 3 parts Strawberry :)

Erica,

A request from my chief smoker holder and cook.
How much sugar do you use per pound / kg of fruit?

:thanks:
Tim

Home made strawberry jam and banana comes a close second ... never seem to get enough blackcurrants to make jam ... very cunning blackbirds are the usual culprits ... one day I will invest in a fruit cage for the blackcurrants !
Two felines seem to take care of our feathery friends although the odd grape or two seems to go missing :drool5:

Erica,

A request from my chief smoker holder and cook.
How much sugar do you use per pound / kg of fruit?

:thanks:
Tim

My tried and tested recipe from HFW

150-200g gooseberries, topped and tailed
1kg strawberries, hulled, large ones halved
750-1kg jam sugar with added pectin (the more sugar you use, the firmer the set of the jam)
15-20g unsalted butter (optional)

1. Put the gooseberries in a saucepan with 100ml water. Place on a low heat and cook gently until the gooseberries are tender but still holding their shape. This should take 6-7 minutes, depending on their size and maturity.
2. Meanwhile, place the strawberries in a roomy, heavy-based pan or a preserving pan. The fruit should be no more than a third of the way up the pan to allow for a rapid rise when a rolling boil is reached.
3. When the gooseberries are cooked, add to the strawberries. Put the preserving pan on a gentle heat and add the sugar. Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has fully dissolved. Then increase the heat and bring the pan to a full rolling boil (i.e. when the surface is covered with a mass of foamy bubbles). Boil for 8-9 minutes, without stirring too much, until setting point is reached.
4. Remove the jam from the heat and if the surface is scummy add a knob of butter and keep stirring until the scum has dissolved. Pot into warm, sterilised jars and seal immediately. Label when cold. Unopened and stored in a cool, dry place, the jam will keep for up to a year. Once opened, keep in the fridge or a cool larder and use within a few weeks.

:thanks:ericA,

You read my wife's mind.
I got my ear chewed for not asking for the recipe.

Tim.

Latest posts

Back