Strawberries

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
Just guzzled my first garden picked proper bowlful with honey and mascarpone.

Summer IS here.

Cazza

That shows the difference in climate .... been picking mine for two weeks now and buckets full of loganberries as well ... first raspberries only a week off ripe ! It is all a bit early even for down here ...

Into our second dish full in a few minutes!
Yummy

cazza,
You forgot the grated plain chocolate on top of the mascarpone, mmm mmmm!

Mmmmmmm love fresh strawberries! Mine are being raided by squirrels though. I have covered them with fleece, but they must be able to smell them and just tear through it.

Our were devastated by pheasants, nothing seems to scare them. But then kites figuered where they can find fresh meat and now no more problems. We are filling and emptiing the buckets.

Got a nice surprise at the allotment tonight ... some rasberry canes I was given and put in last year had flowered last week ... I thought they were just run of the mill summer fruiting ... not so ... lovely bright yellow fruits ...very small but so sweet ...picked about half a punnet as there's only four canes but I'll be splitting those in the back end ... so early and so delicious got to have more of them next year.

No idea what variety they are ... look a lot like 'All Gold' but they are supposed toi be Autumn fruiting ? The berries at present are on last year's canes but there's loads of new growth so they could be dual cropping ?

My strawberries were devastated last year by foxes. This year they are in raised beds with removeable wire frames which keep out anything but a badger. (And we have lots of badgers)

Just picked our first berry yesterday..

Mine are still green....

I won't see any of them though, too much and varied vermin. I can't believe I am thinking about tapping JBM up for some firearms advice - and can't believe that I am actually considering checking out what's best for the back garden at the (Welsh) Game Fair this weekend.....I'm not an assassin by nature, but it has got that bad!!! :(

Nothing like fresh strawberries, I have had a few of mine as well, although had to fight off a blackbird today who was trying to nick one

... I can't believe I am thinking about tapping JBM up for some firearms advice - and can't believe that I am actually considering checking out what's best for the back garden at the (Welsh) Game Fair this weekend.....I'm not an assassin by nature, but it has got that bad!!! :(

Strawberries? It was Parsley that tipped Jeanette Winterson over the brink …

Mine are still green....

I won't see any of them though, too much and varied vermin. I can't believe I am thinking about tapping JBM up for some firearms advice - and can't believe that I am actually considering checking out what's best for the back garden at the (Welsh) Game Fair this weekend.....I'm not an assassin by nature, but it has got that bad!!! :(

Have some sympathy! Have small chicken wire under all my raised beds to stop mole, have netted fruit cages to stop birds, and fine netting to stop butterflies and root fly, have four mouse traps in biscuit tin with holes cut in it to get mice and voles but not birds, have high fence for deer ( though not too bad here! ) have air rifle for grey squirrels, have shotgun for rabbits!
But..... Have loads of fruit and veg... Oh and honey!
E

quote=itma;421726]Strawberries? It was Parsley that tipped Jeanette Winterson over the brink …[/quote]

Strawbs are even more justification for action than parsley??? no? Unfortunately, my vermin isn't quite as appetising as Jeanette's.... I have looked up some squirrel recipes but can anyone suggest any for Jackdaw? I am feeding a whole town's worth. S'pose I could leave them for the fox. :blush5:

Enrico, does your air rifle do for less aerial rodents, as well as squirrels? The ones called Basil? - mine are a bit too large to fit in a biscuit tin...

I bought strawberries from Aldi some years ago for £2.99 for six.
Their great great grandchildren are living happily in Wales and producing absolutely marvellous fruit :)

I bought strawberries from Aldi some years ago for £2.99 for six.
Their great great grandchildren are living happily in Wales and producing absolutely marvellous fruit :)

Yes... I have some of theirs as well ...just got to buy them when they first come in as they don't seem to understand the need to water their plants and they let them dry out and presumably chuck 'em away ... seems a daft way to go on to me.

I bought a twig of a blacurrant bush from them in March this year for £2.99 ... it's nearly 3' high and covered in berries on the original stem .. should be brilliant next year. Aldi really are good value for shrubs and plants, can't beat them.

Have small chicken wire under all my raised beds to stop mole, have netted fruit cages to stop birds, and fine netting to stop butterflies and root fly, have four mouse traps in biscuit tin with holes cut in it to get mice and voles but not birds, have high fence for deer ( though not too bad here! ) have air rifle for grey squirrels, have shotgun for rabbits!
But..... Have loads of fruit and veg... Oh and honey!
E

Anything for idiots who leave gates open for sheep? :mad:

Latest posts

Back