Strange crow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
An odd looking crow comes and lifts the sheep droppings on our field most days. It is not like the normal crows. It has a large white patch on its breast, about the size of a tennis ball. We have lapwings and oyster catchers nesting in the field so I am not confusing them with this crow. I am certain it is not the pied crow of Africa or we would have every twitcher in the country looking for it. I have been unable to get a picture of it despite using a x60 bridge camera, it always flies off as soon as I go outside.

Any idea of what this might be

Last edited:
We have one crow visiting our garden with a couple of white feathers on one wing. If nothing else, it makes the bird easy to recognise.

It's a genetic thing that gives them some white feathers. It's called Leucism.

Link to Corvid Research https://corvidresearch.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/crow-curiosities-what-causes-white-feathers/ so you can read more if you want.

:iagree:

The ones with just the odd white patch tend to survive but the whiter ones tend to get mobbed because of their 'different' appearance.

We have one crow visiting our garden with a couple of white feathers on one wing. If nothing else, it makes the bird easy to recognise.

It's a genetic thing that gives them some white feathers. It's called Leucism.

Link to Corvid Research https://corvidresearch.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/crow-curiosities-what-causes-white-feathers/ so you can read more if you want.

Thanks for that I mentioned it to the local bird group who had no answer. I have also seen blackbirds with white feathers.

a crow with white breast there is no such bird in the uk, unless feather mutation the closest is a hood crow but that is bluish grey hood

a crow with white breast there is no such bird in the uk, unless feather mutation the closest is a hood crow but that is bluish grey hood

Please see post No 2 which explains. The crow is a normal crow with a white breast, nothing like the colourings of the hooded crow.

I have a "pied" jackdaw visiting - one of the local clattering.:)

A wisp of snipe. :)

One of my favourite group terms
:iagree:
And when you watch a group of them moving across the bogs when flushed you can see why the term was coined - I like a charm of finches too - but to me should be proper only to goldfinches.

Latest posts

Back