Puzzling colony! Difficulty level: HIGH (for me at least!)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellaedge

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all, wondering if anyone would care to speculate/ offer any advice on a colony that’s gone very off script this season. Through Spring I saw all kinds of unexpected behaviour making me confused about queenrightness and swarming intention - brood and queen cells above the excluder, random periods of very aggressive temperament, sealed swarm cells but apparently no swarm... Anyway I finally thought they were sorting themselves out but am scratching my head again today. I'd be really grateful if anyone would care to speculate about what's going on here:

1) New queen emerged about 4 weeks ago (saw a queen just sitting on the ground outside the hive, she was on the small side and that's quite strange behaviour, but I was so relieved to see evidence of a queen at all that I didn't want to look the gift horse in the mouth, and I assumed she was just having a rest either before or after a mating flight)

2) Sent out a small swarm exactly 3 weeks ago yesterday

3) Eleven days ago there was no sign the new queen was laying yet

4) Yesterday, there was capped brood but no open brood, and a ton of both open and sealed queen cells (maybe about 20?)

5) Today I checked again pretty thoroughly using a torch, and can see no sign of eggs anywhere, just some patches of already sealed brood.

The QCs are mostly along the bottom of frames, with a couple on the middle of frames. There are quite a lot of stores in the brood and a half they are on, but definitely room to lay... Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what's gone on? Did I have a new queen emerge, mate, start laying, then immediately die??

Didn't want this thread to get too long, but if there's other details that would help just ask me anything!

Have you got into mind to change the queen's genome to normal?

Ypu have a strange story.

A few years ago I had a carniolan mixture.
It swarmed and it settled down into its new hive. One week later it started again swarm preparations. In my apiary swarming rate rised up to 120%. I started to buy new mated queens.

I bought for example Buckfast, but I saw 2-3 years that buckfast genes were melted into sky's blue.

It is important that you get ridd off your apiary's old genepool.

Last edited:
Queen dead hence emergency QCs?
Maybe even laying workers, when you say 'patches of brood' could you elaborate, is there evidence of a regular laying pattern or just patchy brood? are you sure it's worker brood not drone?

Latest posts

Back