Strange Brood Cappings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuckUk

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I'm a newbee... so be gentle!

I requeened a small colony after the orginal queen wasn't being particulary productive, infact I transferred her to a Nuc about 7 weeks ago and she's still on the same 4 frames of partially drawn foundation.

The small colony produced about five QC's of which the largest was selected and the rest destroyed. The new queen started laying about 2 weeks ago, however undertaking an inspection this afternoon, I have come across what looks like capped Drone cells, some of which that aren't capped have gloopy jelly that looks like a mushy larvae!!

Any thoughts? I didn't expect to have drone cells this late in the season, is this a laying Drone?

Tried to upload a couple of images, apologies in advance for the camera shake!!

Try sticking a match stick into one of the mashy lava see if it sticks to your match stick
You might have to get in touch with a bee inspecter on this one am sorry to say it may be AFB

Last edited:
definitely sunken cappings and think on first picture there is perforation, do the rope test, also noticed you have 2 hives, what is the picture on the 2nd hive is it the same?

definitely sunken cappings and think on first picture there is perforation, do the rope test, also noticed you have 2 hives, what is the picture on the 2nd hive is it the same?

Second hive is fine, prolific in fact with text book brood cappings. I also have a small 6 frame nuc where the original queen was placed from Hive 1 along with a couple of frames from Hive 1 & 2. Again the brood cappings are a biscuit colour, text book shape being nice and uniform, if a little orange from the pollen the bees are bringing in at the moment.

I'm not sure if the photos do the cappings justice, they are very domed in shape, although I can see where you are looking regards the 'sunken' cappings.

Image attached is from the same Hive (1) as the other two photo's.

If the cappings are all domed you could have a drone laying queen - or worker. As a newbie sometimes there's a lot of information you may be missing - have you got access to a mentor, or a Beekeeping associaion if I were you I'd ask for some help or advice befre panic sets in. Your new queen may have pased the mating dealine and is just laying drones so you may need to requeen.

Hi,
Just got an e-mail from my Club Mentor, suggested drone laying queen is present... Would be interested to know if this false queen looks similar to a normal queen? As I have marked her already, believing she was a viable queen...

Is she a drone laying queen, or a queen that only lays drones?

Really, really hope it's as simple as that and not what has been suggest earlier in this thread... can't even bring myself to type the initials let alone the full title.

Drone laying queen, or queen laying only drones; same thing really your new queen has not mated so can't lay workers:probably because of the weird weather we've had this summer she never got the chance to go out and mate (not usually a probelm in your area by my experience - only joking! :biggrinjester: ) She'd look no different to any other queen - but i have been told you shouldn't mrk a queen until your're shure she's mated. I think you may need a new queen yet again (at this time of the year you are safer getting a mated queen if you can, they're still available)

Hi,
Just got an e-mail from my Club Mentor, suggested drone laying queen is present... Would be interested to know if this false queen looks similar to a normal queen? As I have marked her already, believing she was a viable queen...

Is she a drone laying queen, or a queen that only lays drones?

Really, really hope it's as simple as that and not what has been suggest earlier in this thread... can't even bring myself to type the initials let alone the full title.

I know this is not what you want to hear but if there is even the slightest doubt about AFB/EFB you MUST get your local bee inspector to check them out. Please remember this could potentially affect other beekeepers as well as your self.

Bee inspectors are a friendly lot, and will not mind one bit if it is a false alarm. People report its generally a very good learning experience as well.

I know this is not what you want to hear but if there is even the slightest doubt about AFB/EFB you MUST get your local bee inspector to check them out. Please remember this could potentially affect other beekeepers as well as your self.

Bee inspectors are a friendly lot, and will not mind one bit if it is a false alarm. People report its generally a very good learning experience as well.

:iagree:

Sorry to say i agree, having survived an inspection (and it was interesting scarey 3 hours where at least our methods were complimented) I would be on the phone now to her asking her to come back. i think E rather than A but...
either way i hope the reult is good news and you are clear, and the caping were just cos it got chilled... but the description means we would have been phoning and getting a second opinion if the inspector wasnt available...
Good luck and Good wishes,- there are things it could be...

Its a drone laying queen and the mushy larvae will be due to the bees neglecting these unnecessary drone larvae and them dieing.
AFB is seldom if ever found in drone cells but its still good advice to contact your bee inspector if you spot dodgy dead brood - it will help you sleep at night anyway Puck !

AFB is seldom if ever found in drone cells but its still good advice to contact your bee inspector if you spot dodgy dead brood - it will help you sleep at night anyway Puck !

:iagree:
Best get the inspector to check ASAP.
Otherwise your mentor, (who has not inspected the issue first hand) could find that they are responsible for the destruction of many more colonies!:eek::eek::eek:

:iagree:about inspections: use this as an excuse to get in touch with your bee inspector. It's unlikely to be foul brood, but you DEFINITELY don't want to take chances. The bee inspector will probably be a mine of useful information in any case, and will notice any other issues (sacbrood, chalkbrood, bald brood from wax moth activity etc etc.) and point them out. Even if you're good at spotting things, a bee inspector is usually better, esp. a very experienced one.

It seems to have been a difficult year for queen bees: early emergence, patchy mating, virgins flying off never to return, and so forth. I had one this spring who never managed to mate properly and laid almost all drones; another managed to mate OK and has had a thriving colony all summer. The end of summer is crunch time for new queens: if you're in any doubt, I would get rid of her and perhaps combine the colony with a better one. But CHECK for disease first!! You won't regret it.

Thanks for all of the advice, some reassurances given, after speaking with my Mentor also, I'm confident this is a Drone Laying Queen.

Appointment made with the Bee Inspector who is calling to my hives to inspect tomorrow afternoon.... fingers and toe's crossed!!

Thanks for all of the advice, some reassurances given, after speaking with my Mentor also, I'm confident this is a Drone Laying Queen.

Appointment made with the Bee Inspector who is calling to my hives to inspect tomorrow afternoon.... fingers and toe's crossed!!

Hope all goes well with the inspector, post back to let us know the findings if you would?

Good luck Puckuk will keep everything crossed here for you

Appointment made with the Bee Inspector who is calling to my hives to inspect tomorrow afternoon....

Good luck.

Let us all know how it goes, what is the inspector like :reddevil: ie friendly, informative or scarey! :Angel_anim:

Wahooo...

Bee Inspector visit this afternoon, all clear... phewww

Drone Laying Queen present, Bee Inspector informs of his 60+ hives, he too had been set back with umptee dozen poorly mated Queens...

Will now have to shake off the bees and remove the hive as the frames of brood are too far gone.

Really, really helpful chap, very knowledgeable. A real pity to be informed that these are his last couple of weeks undertaking Bee Inspections as DEFRA are, or have pulled funding!! Booo, not too sure of the Politics, but a positive experience to have met this most helpful mine of information.

Thanks for all of your support.

Well congats puckuk
glad it all went well and a shame that the funding has been pulled bee inspectors do play a vital role in the country, and as you say a lot of knowledge is less accessible.

ZZ :(

if he is an SBI rather than RBI his post is only for the season anyway!!!! nothing to do with withdrawal of funding (although perhaps next year there will be less SBIs).

Latest posts

Back