Storm Imogen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd inadvertently left a piece of sponge I use to wipe down the inspection boards on top of one of the hives last Sunday - went up to get it today and there's no sign of it anywhere - must have blown away during the 'storm' damned freak winter weather systems!

I'd inadvertently left a piece of sponge I use to wipe down the inspection boards on top of one of the hives last Sunday - went up to get it today and there's no sign of it anywhere - must have blown away during the 'storm' damned freak winter weather systems!

Heavens!!!!!
I wondered where that dirty bit of sponge sitting on one of the hives came from.
Shall I keep it for you?
Or I could leave it where it is and see where it goes to next :)

I did see one of those trampoline things wrapped around a telegraph post near the railway - now that is one piece of leisure equipment that the great unwashed should be banned from owning - I wonder how much damage those things left unanchored on peoples lawns cause each year when they decide to go walkabout?

We were all prepared for the storm 6.5 KVA gennie ready, plenty of firewood, Rayburn working OK and torches all with batteries, but we didn't need them.

I bought the generator some years ago, for power while we lived in a caravan during the barn conversion. I soon learnt that KVA is not the same as KWs.
We had a 1 kw fire + 1/2 kw, + 250 watts of lights and a 2 kw washer going. All working fine until my wife turned on the kettle and microwave. Total of 6.6KW, That made the gennie smoke. I should have used the calculation

KVA x power rating (industry standard is I believe 0.6) = KWatts

6.5 x 0.6 = 3.9k watts The gennie was working to almost capacity before the other items were turned on. Even with a power rating of 0.8 the gennie was still overloaded.

I hope this is correct RAB.

Mike

Mike,

Most use 0.8 power factor, I think, but the important thing is that they quote the power factor along with the kVA.

It rather depends on what is being driven. It is a useful point to check if unusual power factors are quoted - there may be a marketing issue of appearing to headline a larger kVA. Chinese sets are notorious for this sort of thing.

It is probably a better situation to drag down the engine, rather than over-sizing it, unless the generator max output is carefully monitored or it is generously sized. Windings can burn out very quickly. I have a 4 1/2kVA generator direct coupled to a 6Hp diesel engine. Engine pulls 3kW easily, but smokes at 3 1/2kW. There is no rating plate on the alternator, but I expect the power factor is 0.8.

RAB

Lots of firewood.....that's what we did with our neighbours tree. He didn't even notice it has come down and disappeared.

Finders keepers eh? It's a pine tree that landed on our fence...leylandii....will take years before suitable for the log burner....so it can mature for a while as a crosscountry jump....for the braver riders.
It's amazing how much trash gets blown about.....redistributed about the countryside...

I made a slight mistake with a 7 instead of a 2

Yeah right. Who you trying to kid? Trying to persuade all those out there that 7 and 2 are adjacent on your key pad? Not even close!

You made a big mistake in quoting kVA as Watts. Simple as that. Try digging deeper. Now back tracking on how much you have loaded your generator? Not a clue is the answer you should be giving - if you were honest about it. What I would suggest is that if you don't know, don't spout.

What ever.

I have similar problems, I have a 2in x 4in x 1/4in thick piece of wood that I used for a entrance reducer during the summer, i'm for ever picking it up from the floor as these severe winds keep blowing it of the roof.

Wind?
What wind?
I lived in the London suburbs in 1987. Now I remember that one night in October. That was windy!
I don't remember it had a name.....Michael maybe?
Today its a beautifully sunny day.........so uplifting :)

Not seen much news/weather this week, but I have heard about IMOGEN and a few others earlier. When will it get here then?

Latest posts

Back