Storm Dennis - Washed Away Hives - Advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macdee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,

This morning I awoke to two missing hives.
At first I thought that they had been stolen, there was no sign of any kit and the bales of straw that they had been sitting on had vanished; however strangely no sign of any break into the field.

Then it dawned on me that maybe the small brook at the end of the field had burst its banks and floated them away, but the field has never flooded. However Storm Dennis had just visited us and caused flooding else where, so the hunt along the river bank began.

After entering the farmers fields next door, at the very end I found not one, but both hives washed into the bank in a huge pile of flotsam.

The poly hive was on its side, still strapped to its stand.
The other one was buried upside down in three pieces, unfortunately with the floor in a different pile of flotsam.

Now I have spend the whole day trying to rescue them, with one arm in a plaster cast (a story for another time). I have been trying to dry them out in my conservatory with a hot air blower and shaking out the waterlogged frames.

Amazingly quite a few have survived their white water rafting trip, but I now find that they don't seem to be clustering all together in the same place and I have no idea if there is a queen left in the hive. Plus they have now taken over the conservatory.

Only my second year of beekeeping, what an adventure this hobby is turning out to be !!!!

So what should I do next, help please .........

Cheers
Al

Attachments

• IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 197
How sad but good on you for rescuing. If mine, I would put hives and bees back as close to the original site as possible and wait and see. I would leave a few days to see if there’s signs of a recovery and if there is, pop a block of fondant on them. Frankly, I think they are lost but to you never know.
S

Amazing, well done. Possibly not clustering as your conservatory will be warm.
I'd be tempted to leave them there for a few days....if you can live with that.
See what happens and make future decisions later.

Last edited:
This happened to me a few years ago. Six colonies floating down the Deveron with their stands and got washed up, over fences and up side banks, up to a kilometre away - and all survived with their queens - thanks to having been strapped up securely.

It sounds as though one of your colonies suffered more than mine did.

After al that trauma, and being in a warmish spot, they might not cluster now - but once outside they will. I would feed them now, check that they’re all in a hive, and leave them there, closed up, until the worst of the storm is over, and then return them somewhere safe from future flooding.

Wow.. What a nightmare..:eek:..good on you for getting them back home and back together especially with a cast on one of your arms (i spent a swarm season with one on and it is not good) ..it is in the hands of the gods now but lets hope they pull safe..keep us updated.

Well done for rescuing those that were still alive. Don’t be put off by such a difficult introduction into beekeeping. This is a one off and I’m confident this summer will be a good one for you.

Please update us on how your onward rescue plan goes.

All the best.

This weather has been a disaster for lots of people and animals.
Well done for getting to them. Now it’s time to find somewhere safer for the bees. Flooding is going to be an annual thing from now on. Good luck.

Rescue plan update

Rescue plan update

The poly hive found on the river bank still strapped to its stand, was returned to the field the day after the flooding.

The other one was that was buried upside down in three pieces in a pile of flotsam, spent a week in our conservatory with the hot air blower on. It was then moved them back to the field and left with a little syrup.

We did lose quite a lot of bees to the water and also lots more over the days in the conservatory, as the pictures show; I think the water and cold had exhausted them out too much.

The good news, is upon checking both hives this afternoon, both have eggs and larvae, which to me is totally amazing. All that effort was worth it in the end and I take my hat off to the bees for their resilience and ability to protect their queens.

Thanks for the replies back last month.

Cheers
Al

Attachments

• IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    591.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    699 KB · Views: 98
Well done...

Good for the bees - they're tough little blighters. Could I suggest, though, that you find somewhere with a bit more altitude to move them to? Winter storms not over yet!

Latest posts

Back