Storing Capped Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T
Not Eric but.....
I have tried both. To my mind unwired is completely unacceptable. The best is no foundation at all though you don't get uniformly drawn combs as well as with thin.
Thanks, is the standard unwired unacceptable as it’s too thick? I’ve tried thin unwired for the first time this year but learnt you can’t get it drawn in hot weather as it’s easily crumples!

T

Thanks, is the standard unwired unacceptable as it’s too thick? I’ve tried thin unwired for the first time this year but learnt you can’t get it drawn in hot weather as it’s easily crumples!
Yes far too thick in my opinion. If thin doesn’t work try FF. in a good flow there should be no problem getting it drawn. I’ve never had comb collapse inside a hive.

Yes far too thick in my opinion. If thin doesn’t work try FF. in a good flow there should be no problem getting it drawn. I’ve never had comb collapse inside a hive.
Yes can imagine the cut comb might be a bit too chewy! Some of the thin foundation has worked but the proof will
be in the eating

The better option would be to use a syringe to inject molten wax into the internal grooves of each frame .This will ensure that the comb is produced by the bees rather than wax from a mixture of sources!

I accidentally put a cut come foundations frame in my extractor last year. There was a large thud and my extractor started dancing!

It was a year 1 comb so still soft. So do as others say and start slow.

If you have one of the extractors where you need to flip the frames, then extract and flip a few times, slowly increasing speed. Just take it easy and you should be fine.

I just use a tiny starter strip for my cut comb, about 2-3mm. When they go in the super, I make sure each CC frame is sandwiched between two good standard straight frames, then they will draw straight. Then when I cut from the frames, I slice a little bit away from the top to avoid having starter strip in my comb.

I think there should not be any foundation in comb honey.

Latest posts

Back