Storing Capped Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
What’s the best method of removing bees from capped supers/frames and where’s the best place to store capped frames ready for extraction please.

I use rhombus clearers for 24 hours. Works really well - just the odd few left. I am extracting this afternoon and had to take some supers off a day early from my out apiary as I didn't have enough clearer boards. I put them tucked in a gap in the foliage at the back of the shed where they won't get any direct sun. They are on a stand then a empty super, clear sheet then a clear sheet on top and a lid. It's where I store my wet supers over winter. I keep checking and the bees haven't found them yet although they are bee tight anyway.

I too use rhombus. Clear in a few hours or overnight. The warmer they are the less viscous the honey. I tend to start extracting as soon as I get home or if not possible, store somewhere warm and bee tight. Stacks covered top and bottom by solid ply.

So, supers are off and stored. My next challenge is how to deal with them.
I have all non-wired frames (newbie error) and don’t want all comb honey.
I have seen several ways of extracting from these and would favour the crush and drain approach.
My only concern is the taste. Will the wax taint the flavour of the sieved honey?

So, supers are off and stored. My next challenge is how to deal with them.
I have all non-wired frames (newbie error) and don’t want all comb honey.
I have seen several ways of extracting from these and would favour the crush and drain approach.

Nothing wrong with putting unwired frames through an extractor, I have loads with unwired foundation and have yet to lose one in either a radial or tangential

Last edited:
Don't start off to vigorously, as the combs empty increase the speed, watch out for any combs with pollen as they are the ones to likely give way.

Would you spin it though
Don't start off to vigorously
Heed Hemo's advice: spin for several minutes at roughly 25% speed and only go fast for the last minute or so. If you get it wrong they'll blow; by the second year combs will be tougher and there's less worry.

I've gone over entirely to unwired and cut comb super foundation: saves money and gives options - cut comb, full frame comb, extracted honey.

Heed Hemo's advice: spin for several minutes at roughly 25% speed and only go fast for the last minute or so. If you get it wrong they'll blow; by the second year combs will be tougher and there's less worry.

I've gone over entirely to unwired and cut comb super foundation: saves money and gives options - cut comb, full frame comb, extracted honey.
Do you use thin unwired for cut comb Eric or the standard unwired, is there a big difference to the end product?

Do you use thin unwired for cut comb Eric or the standard unwired, is there a big difference to the end product?
Not Eric but.....
I have tried both. To my mind unwired is completely unacceptable. The best is no foundation at all though you don't get uniformly drawn combs as well as with thin.

Surely you don't make/sell cut comb honey with foundation in the middle?

Latest posts

Back