Still time to do splits and get queens mated?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
In my area there is a huge flow on supers are full and brood boxes are full of honey and nowhere much for queen to lay. I wanted to make some splits as one hive has made queen cells and they are both so packed with bees now they have become hard to work on for me. Seems like all of a sudden the bees are out of room and storing honey everywhere.

I would like to know if I made splits now would there be many drones available?

In my area there is a huge flow on supers are full and brood boxes are full of honey and nowhere much for queen to lay. I wanted to make some splits as one hive has made queen cells and they are both so packed with bees now they have become hard to work on for me. Seems like all of a sudden the bees are out of room and storing honey everywhere.

I would like to know if I made splits now would there be many drones available?

Yes .. plenty of drones about down here .. plenty of time to do splits.

You lot must have excellent weather on the horizon.
I seem to have had very few windows for queen mating And I certainly would be in trouble four weeks down the line if they failed.

I seem to have had very few windows for queen mating And I certainly would be in trouble four weeks down the line if they failed.

Had our first real rain for weeks about an hour ago. Hooray
E

So far this year, have only had two nucs fail - and they were lost queens rather than poor matings, even had one, when I first checked with no sign of brood apart from one frame with only patchy drone brood. I didn't have time to do anything about them at the time so I gave them an extra week and lo and behold - thee perfect frames of worker brood to show our new SBI (after warning him it may be a laying worker nuc) As I told him, she must have been clearing her throat :D
Got the usual August/September supersedure rounds going on now.

First real rain for several weeks yesterday down here on the Costa del Fareham - even then it was heavy in parts during the morning and then settled down to intermittent showers and drizzle for the rest of the day. My bees were flying even in the showers ...

If our long(er) range forecast for down here is to be believed it is a pretty good outlook- August looks like a fairly dry month with a couple of frontal systems coming in. To be honest, where we are sheltered to the North by Portsdown hill and to the South by the Isle of wight and have the warming influence of the Solent, we are rarely exposed to the full force of the Atlantic South Westerlies that you suffer in West Wales ~ where you get the full force of those frontal systems that sweep in and bounce off the south of Ireland.

Of course, winter also comes much later and is much milder down here in the far South.

Last week it rained 6 days out of seven......just like most of July ..... . gray and overcast. Yesterday was lovely. Today it rains...and is gray and overcast...

We had double average rainfall over the winter, then a lovely dry sunny spell April/May and then rain and gray and overcast in June .

Carp for honey and queen mating...

There's a reason people go on holiday to Cornwall, and not to Stoke-on-Trent...

And there was me thinking it was the friendly welcome that the Cornish give to tourists and the fantastic pasties!

Blowin a hoolie outside at the moment... feel sorry for all the free campers who have had to camp out in the carparks with the toilet facilities closed!

Chons da

There's a reason people go on holiday to Cornwall, and not to Stoke-on-Trent...

And there was me thinking it was the friendly welcome that the Cornish give to tourists and the fantastic pasties!

Blowin a hoolie outside at the moment... feel sorry for all the free campers who have had to camp out in the carparks with the toilet facilities closed!

Chons da

If they are anything like the free campers who arrive on the coast down here every time the sun shines with the toilet facilities still closed you probably won't feel sorry for them when you step in what they have left behind .. dog walkers around here are mostly trained to pick up what their pets leave behind .. sadly, some campers need a bit more training !

If they are anything like the free campers who arrive on the coast down here every time the sun shines with the toilet facilities still closed you probably won't feel sorry for them when you step in what they have left behind .. dog walkers around here are mostly trained to pick up what their pets leave behind .. sadly, some campers need a bit more training !

Easily solved.

Force people to eat what they leave behind and chained to a stake till they do...

Latest posts

Back