still can't decide whether to put mg on yet!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndreaW

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Can you be too early? Was about to put mouseguard on today and turn entrance block upside down so reduced entrance is at top of block and they don't block it when trying to remove corpses. Don't seem to be clearing any out yet.

Looked at weather forecast and it is meant to be 20 degrees again here by Monday! It is 13 today and only a few bees are out flying. Should I wait a bit longer. We do get mice around up near where the hive is as I keep chickens nearby as well. Thought it might be good to put it on when not too many bees around the entrance.

I have a solid floor, should I just take the whole entrance block out or leave it in as reduced. I haven't seen a wasp near them in days - think I have a nest out in front garden though as they seem to be coming in the house rather than going any where near my hive!

Think its still a bit early - while the bees are not clustering I don't think there is danger of mice sneaking in (please correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Personally wont be bothering with an entrance reducer while the mouseguard is on, can't see the point

Think its still a bit early - while the bees are not clustering I don't think there is danger of mice sneaking in (please correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Personally wont be bothering with an entrance reducer while the mouseguard is on, can't see the point

Thank you. Will leave it a week or so more then and see what the weather does. So I could take the entrance block out completely and have the mouseguard over the top of the opening? Did wonder about that as I have a solid floor.

I've just put mine on; normal entrance block with frame pins nailed at bee space intervals for the wooden hive and for the MB polys I've cut down 2 metal ones and put them in place of the entrance reducers. Feeders off. Straps on. That's it till Spring.

Latest posts

Back