Still bringing in pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbie & Jans Bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Guys

Just wondered if anybody is having a buzy time by the hives my bees are still bringing in pollen is this normal so late in the year? Or are we just lucky to live in Cornwall Yer-Tiz

Robbie

Still some pollen coming in from ivy up here, at least in favoured spots.

G.

minds are bringing in as much as i have seen all year.most of the ivy here still yet to flower.

Mine are bringing in heavy loads of bright yellow pollen - flying as much...if not more than the summer.

Had a hilarious time today watching them come in so loaded that they are completely out of control - hitting the landing board at all angles and rolling over onto sides and backs before getting up and scuttling in

Several glorious hours of sun and warmth. Bees everywhere (and butterflies, and ladybirds, and mosquitoes!)

Down along the South coast I think the bees will find some pollen any day of the year IF its warm enough for them to fly.....

yesterday here in dublin there were bringing in massive loads of polen and were flying like it was a summers day. iTs going to be a short winter for them and there should be a good survival rate withe lots of well fed youing winter bees

Pollen intake

In deepest Hampshire our bees are still collecting pollen. New to bee keeping but i reckon that this is not normal.

i reckon that this is not normal.

I've seen pollen being taken in during the week up to, and including, Christmas Eve. We are not there yet. Then flying strongly in the middle of February - yes taking in pollen. So, apart from the really unseasonally warm spell early in October, it is not so 'abnormal' for this last decade. Maybe the whole decade has been abnormal. Blame it on climate change. There could be a lot more changes to come, yet.

RAB

Tons of pollen coming into my little hive too. They're loading so much on they look a complete mess. It's lovely. But unnerving ... there must be brood galore in there!

Its seems that most peoples Hives are still working on sunny days do you think this will have an effect on the numbers of Viroa? stock up with chems I guess.

do you think this will have an effect on the numbers of Viroa? stock up with chems I guess.

Why? on both counts. Any season ther mite count will approx double each month - unless there is no brood, so not really an issue if the autumn varroa treatment was effective.

Just think through the numbers and you will see, very simply, that there is nothing to panic about, as far as varroa are concerned - or at least should not be. Those that did not treat effectively should not be worrying any way. Nothing they can do about it apart from the winter treatment with the organic acid.

Don't need more chemicals, there are enough around without needing to stock up on them! The only chemical needed now is oxalic (or lactic) acid and only then if the thymol treatment in autumn was a failure.

RAB

Mine are still bringing in loads of pollen, then again, they are on an allotment. On a funny note. Louise and I were down there today and Louise was approached by a lady she knows called Gill, who said she had been watching our bees and was supprised to see them dropping food all over the polytunnel............"Is this when they have left the hive or before they enter it?" Louise asked.... " Oh, as soon as they come out" Gill replied........Louise says "Yes, this is a normal thing for bees, it is called defication"..........Gill says.... " But why do they throw it away?" Louise....." It is POOH Gill"..............Gill says." What, bees do that as well?"............................And my beautiful wife looks at her and says with a dead straight face........"You have never heard of Bee Pee then Gill?" I had to go and sit in the polytunnel I was laughing so hard.

John

I park my truck outside my house and I think they like red as it is always covered in Bee poo still better that than seagull poo sorry to the looe people/

QUOTE=Poggle;189308]Mine are still bringing in loads of pollen, then again, they are on an allotment. On a funny note. Louise and I were down there today and Louise was approached by a lady she knows called Gill, who said she had been watching our bees and was supprised to see them dropping food all over the polytunnel............"Is this when they have left the hive or before they enter it?" Louise asked.... " Oh, as soon as they come out" Gill replied........Louise says "Yes, this is a normal thing for bees, it is called defication"..........Gill says.... " But why do they throw it away?" Louise....." It is POOH Gill"..............Gill says." What, bees do that as well?"............................And my beautiful wife looks at her and says with a dead straight face........"You have never heard of Bee Pee then Gill?" I had to go and sit in the polytunnel I was laughing so hard.

John[/QUOTE]

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:[

Bees busy on the ivy.
I have lavender blooming in a tub and there was a bumblebee feeding on the flowers this afternoon!

still bringing in loads of the yellow stuff, today hit 15 on the temp gauge even saw a red admiral butterfly flying today

Took a look at two yards today the first one all ten hives very busy taking in beige,yellow,orange and red pollen at 1.30pm a few wasps about still, and the last hive that still had Drones were busy evicting them, the other yard was only taking in yellow pollen but also very busy, all still brooding and BB`S all crammed full of bees, no sign of them stopping yet:eek:Chris

Latest posts

Back