Still big varroa drop

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raitnieks paper had 3 queen losses in the OAV / brood removal group.

Bit of skewed data though - unlike Ratnieks the majority of us don't rip the crownboard and brood nest open every week in winter to check the brood situation.
His queen mortalities could have been more down to unnecessary disturbance and exposure to cold rather than a single solitary vape.

Bit of skewed data though - unlike Ratnieks the majority of us don't rip the crownboard and brood nest open every week in winter to check the brood situation.
His queen mortalities could have been more down to unnecessary disturbance and exposure to cold rather than a single solitary vape.

Like you say, when bees are tight between frames in cold weather, it is easy to squeeze fat Queen in that jam.

My problem colony are in a wooden box with a cosy on a floor with a JBM entrance so I had to drill a hole in the back to be able to use the sublimox later in the week.
I couldn’t hear them through the side :( so I thought I’d look in the top ( poly crown). Nothing! Ten seconds later lots rushed up to see what was going on. Phew! At least there are some bees in there. Who knows?

My problem colony are in a wooden box with a cosy on a floor with a JBM entrance so I had to drill a hole in the back to be able to use the sublimox later in the week.
I couldn’t hear them through the side :( so I thought I’d look in the top ( poly crown). Nothing! Ten seconds later lots rushed up to see what was going on. Phew! At least there are some bees in there. Who knows?

I thought you had pretty much wiped out the mites in that hive with the Apivar. Is this a determined attempt to kill more mites or more in the nature of a test vape to see if there are any there?

CVB

Possibly to be sure, to be sure, to be sure.
My "problem hive" dropped bugger all with last weeks vape, but a couple of hives that I thought were fine dropped a surprising amount. Suggesting there may have been a round or two of brood after the autumn vaping. Possibly due to mild autumn early winter. And probably the drop counts after last vaping didn't reflect the amount remaining. I think we still have lots to learn about vaping efficiency and application.

Last edited:
My problem was I have one Payne’s floor and I burnt a groove in the entrance with the sublimox. The nozzle is not long enough to rest on the omf

For what its worth for winter vaping I don't bother blocking off the restricted entrance, just add extra herumph Apibioxal and move sublimox nozzle side to side in the entrance for poly floors.....it only take about 30 seconds and the vapour does get everywhere, even with double brood and doesn't burn holes in floor....but those heat mats seem a great idea.

Last edited:
Is this a determined attempt to kill more mites or more in the nature of a test vape to see if there are any there?

CVB

Yes that

Possibly to be sure, to be sure, to be sure.

And that

move sublimox nozzle side to side in the entrance for poly floors.....it only take about 30 seconds and the vapour does get everywhere, even with double brood and doesn't burn holes in floor....but those heat mats seem a great idea.

Yes, Plenty of Honey recommended that as well, thanks

Latest posts

Back