Sticky dripping mess!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loubylou

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Extraction question.......does anyone have a better way of getting honey from the bucket (with tap) to the jam jar other than a jug?

Smaller bucket...more managable. Just tip it into the jars...
Why the problem with a tap?

Smaller bucket...more managable. Just tip it into the jars...
Why the problem with a tap?
:iagree:
And perhaps use a jam funnel to hive you a bigger target.

No problem with the tap, just the jug and wondered whether there was a bit of equipment I was unaware of.

im confused - presume you mean after extracting into settling bucket? I just sit the jars underneath and fill directly from the tub into the jars

I rest mine on a stand about 2jars height and then the jar goes under the tap really easily.

Big funnel helps.
Or a soup ladle.

Ok, my bucket has more of a valve than tap which you unscrew a wing nut and then slide upwards to open and the honey comes out in a wide flow. Too fast for accurate filling. I have tried my other bucket with a conventional tap and the honey flow is painfully slow. So I took to filling a jug. Hence the mess. Maybe I just need to wash the jug regularly and it's that simple. But you know sometimes you wonder whether you are missing a trick.

Straight from settling tank to jar. Sometimes a grandson or nephew help hand jars and put tops on....then I can really get some speed up and hardly ever a spill.

lou that is exactly what I have, just crack it open a little bit don't undo the wing nut more than you need to then when you pull it down you only have to do half a turn to secure it in place while you deal with the jar

Hi Loubee,

This is a standard honey valve. Is this what you have?

T0024-800-228x228.jpg

I use one of these by just cracking open a small amount and it's pretty easy to regulate the flow to get correct weight in each jar.

billy

That's it, thanks I will try to close the valve up so the flow is smaller and therefore more accurate.....simples!!

As above, I can fill 2oz jars from it so you shouldn't have a problem! Only loosen the nut on the opposite side to the hinge just so that you can free the bit that pushes up. Gently push it up until the honey flows and then lower it again as it reaches the top.
The more you raise it the more the honey flows! Miss out the jug altogether!
E
Oh and the wing nuts should be at the sides!

I do the same as Enrico but with one refinement:

I put a flat digital scale underneath the gate, put a jar on it and calibrate it to zero. Then I fill each jar to 16.5 oz, move it and replace with the next, so it's still calibrated at zero. Then I know the weight is on the right side of legal.

Dusty

You get the knack eventually - I now fill them with opening the valve fully then slowly closing at the end - haven't had a spill yet. If the tank lid is closed tight that slows the flow a bit. As for weight, I weigh the first to remind me where the 'fill line' is and check the odd one afterwards. to cover myself I always give a little extra.

No problem with the tap, just the jug and wondered whether there was a bit of equipment I was unaware of.

qe9yvu4u.jpg

The stand is an old babies class school chair reduced further in height !
Cheap and cheerful. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back