!!!Stick Your Entrance Blocks in Newbies!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midland Beek

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Better to prevent a wasp problem from starting in the first place than to try and sort one out.

... take your bits of wax and blobs of honey home.

... don't drip honey about.

... don't unnecessarily manipulate.

... don't put wasp traps out to attract wasps from far and wide that otherwise wouldn't come.

Actually, putting a high efficiency trap downwind of your hives is not a bad idea. Have a look at the wasp pest management section on the waspbane website.

And note that a colony being overrun by wasps (not the odd one coming and going) may mean that there is something terminally wrong with it anyway, like queenlessness or drone laying queen.

And note that a colony being overrun by wasps (not the odd one coming and going) may mean that there is something terminally wrong with it anyway, like queenlessness or drone laying queen.
I would disagree with the above statement, a colony being over run by wasps is due to the wasp's aggressive nature, and probably a large wasp colony in the very local vicinity.
Find it. Eradicate it.
Petrol works well poured into nest, but do not throw a lighted match on it.
Very rare to have a wasp problem in our apiaries.
I operate a wasp eradication service for anyone in my area for free.

Close entrances down to a bee space, even the WBC's hives have been converted to a 9mm total width entrance.

Our breeder / cell rearing colonies are kept purposely queen-less and do not have a wasp problem, I therefore question why anyone would make such a rash statement as to wasp attack being due to a queen-less colony?

James

Latest posts

Back