Steam Wax Extractor - any hints?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyRaes

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 planned, in reality 7 + 1 nuc + 1 A/S into a commercial for a friend
We bought a steam wax extractor last week and I had my first opportunity to test today. It seems to work pretty well, and extracted the wax quickly and cleanly once going.

However I had been told that one of the bonuses was (and this was the reason we went for this over a solar extractor) that it would also result in clean frames and inside of the brood boxes / supers, so we wouldn't need to clean them. Alas that doesn't seem to be the case - they're not much cleaner than when they went in, and the inside of the box doesn't appear much cleaner either.

So I'm either doing something wrong, or it doesn't do this and only extracts wax.

Anyone have any experience of these things?

and the solder holding the screw fixing onto the roof has gone already... doh!

Steam is a good steriliser

I use a steam steriliser for all my old brood frames.

Given long enough most of the wax can be extracted. But, it does leave all the old silk and frass behind.

I open up the steriliser while it is still warm, use clippers to cut the frame wires and scrape off all the gunk with an old knife. It is a messy job, so I always wear gloves

While the wood is still damp I spring the bracing bar out and clean all the grooves.

All the propolis means that the wood is stained and looks a bit grubby - but it is sterile!

Once the frames are dry it is very quick to put in new foundation. I find I can recycle my frames at least twice.

Thanks Chrismcd! Do you find the inside of the brood box / super is reasonably sterile, or does it still need a full clean? I think the other half is very disappointed in it, in that we'd been told it would clean more than it superficially does. Personally, I'm happy that it extracts wax!

Note to self though... don't do it in the house when doing old brood frames... :ack2:

I get a barrel of chloras & water & put the frames into it when they cone out of the steam extractor. There are still bits of cocoons & propolis hanging around. I am more concerned about disease than the colour of the frames. Give them a bit of a scrape down and they are ready for new wax

Like Chris I try and scrape the frames clean whilst they are still warm. It's messy and time consuming, but not too bad if you only have one of two boxes to do. It's the bars that are a bit fiddly as these come out covered in propolis and cocoon debris. I tend to re-use the same brood box rather than use the extractor to sterilise boxes.

I actually find, if you just put a few frames, in the eke, rather than brood box, you get a better clean, I would assume smaller area to heat and steam.

I also use rain water in the steamer.

steam wax extractor

what diseases ,if any,does the steam kill ,does anyone measure the temperature

There must be something less nasty than caustic soda for frame cleaning, surely? I'm really thinking that its just not worth it.

Reclaiming wax is a good thing but are you concerned you have a disease problem in the first place.

For cleaning, as opposed to sterilisation, a solution containing washing soda (this is not the same as caustic soda) is OK. Works best if the solution is heated, avoid using an aluminium container though. Simple sterilisation of boxes, roofs etc. for most amateur beekeepers is easiest done with a blowtorch

Not concerned we've got a disease problem, but I don't want to have a disease problem!

Don't worry, we have been cleaning our kit the traditional way (washing soda then blowtorch), its just we're now at a stage where we are taking old frames off for recycling. If the steam extractor was sufficient to clean them (as had been hinted at elsewhere) then that would have been fantastic, but it clearly isn't and we'll still need to clean them a more traditional way. So either we have to invest in a burco boiler, or we chuck them on the fire as it just seems to much work.

Similarly the steamer isn't cleaning the brood boxes / supers either (as had been hinted at again) so we'll still have to clean them the traditional way.

So it really can only be used for extracting wax. It's bloody good at that, but isn't as flexible as we'd been led to believe.

considering how cheap I purchased new frames at T****** this weekend, Im now wondering if Ive been wasting my time - most likely - reclaiming 200 frames after steaming, boiling in caustic soda, flaming, dryingnin sun, removing top bars side bars renailing.....adding new foundation. Its been a good lesson, but next season, Im going to use as kindling, on my open fire!

:iagree:
I have come to the conclusion recycling frames is not worth the time, mess or hassle.

Back