Steam Wax Extractor - Any good ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have made my own similar to Muswell's.

Old roof with hole in to take hose from wallpaper stripper which had been sitting idle in the garage for years (after we had removed all the old woodchip paper, remember those days!)
Put brood box with frames under, standing on mesh floor to strain debris, underneath that the metal from another old roof, upside down with hole in one corner for wax to run out.
Whole lot on simple wood stand tipped up a bit so wax runs to corner with hole in.

Cost next to nothing, does the job. £78 seems a lot for what they are selling, cheap steamer and a bit of improvisation will do just as well.

I use those trays to stand my stacks of supers on while waiting to be extracted, in my honey room

:iagree:Craig

Started using them this year - one for the ones waiting extraction - one for the 'afters' no mess at all in kitchen - SWMBO ever so pleased :D all for the price of a couple of pints each (so just a snack's worth)

Yep ,that them i have about twenty of them., very useful

put .dripping super put on them...no honey gets on car boot or seat backs, temp sealing supers while loading other supers into the car

Temporary roofs for emergency hives ( floor, two supers and gravel tray roof=14x12 hive for AS)

standing extractor on to catch the drips and to de cap frames on with S/S large catering tray inside

ememrgency swarm home of tray roof ,super of foundation, four 25mm square lenghts of wood plus a sheet of cardboard base for a solid flood

sealing stack of wet supers top and bottom from wasps

over wintering roof for super stacks

and they stack well when not used

even used one in last years heat wave to melt spring capping (insulation slab behind and perspex over), like with the steamer, once the wax sets ,you can flex the gravel tray and spring off the wax

Last edited:
I have made a box which just fits inside a bains marie gastronorm pan to catch the wax, the steam provides the water needed. It holds six frames at a time, has a hole in the side for the steamer, a grill in the bottom and it work well.

Mike.

I have a 200m deep gastronorm pan with a 150mm deep perforated pan inside it. Less than £50 from Nisbets for a good uncapping tray. Just like DulwichGnome's picture

I have a 200m deep gastronorm pan with a 150mm deep perforated pan inside it. Less than £50 from Nisbets for a good uncapping tray. Just like DulwichGnome's picture

As a cheapskate, mine is the shallowest perforated tray inside a 65mm deep tray!
From Nisbets own-brand 'Vogue' range, during one of their periodic free delivery offers coinciding with a slight promotion, my 1/1 size Gastronorm setup cost under £20 delivered and inc VAT.
And even my carpentry skills were adequate to build a simple 'bridge' with a hole to stabilise the lower frame lug.
It is also a good mess-containing workspace for cut-comb cutting ...

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-Gastronorm-Pan---1$1-Full-Size/K903/ProductDetail.raction
Just remember that their website defaults to showing the prices before adding VAT
And that they normally do free delivery on all January orders ...

Back