Statistics

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lucky

My bee numbers quadrupled in three years...

current affairs aren't saying they being quadrupled I think we have something in the post coming soon just my opinion please if you are going to leave a snyde comment or a meaningless comment please don't thank you

current affairs aren't saying they being quadrupled I think we have something in the post coming soon just my opinion please if you are going to leave a snyde comment or a meaningless comment please don't thank you

i think statements like " bees in traditional hives, except in sheltered locations, except those closely looked after, except those with additional insulation had an average of 50% losses" don't make the news.

Your original question was "Is it true bees are dying faster than they are breeding or on similar path, catastrophic, if so why???????????"

My reply was:
Not snide.
Nor meaningless.
Nor irrelevant.
BUT
Factual

The BBKA Stats state that over a third of colonies died out last winter and in some areas it was as high as 50% ...

I'd be interested to know how colony numbers are looking now. Has this summer managed to rebuild all of those 30-50% losses? Are we still down on this time last year or up?

Look, there is always a bit of banter on here. But would you please use a bit of punctuation, as I keep nearly passing out reading your posts.

Look, there is always a bit of banter on here. But would you please use a bit of punctuation, as I keep nearly passing out reading your posts.

Isn't it funny how we regulate our breathing patterns to the punctuation even when we are reading? - or do you always read out loud (and do you break up the word into smaller chunks when you are struggling with the pronounciation) :D

His comments were relevant. Current affairs programmes are part of the entertainment industry and while they can be useful in bringing issues to ones attention, you don't want to base your conclusions on them.

not trying hard enough ... got 11 colonies out of 3 in one year.

I could not - or rather would not - build 8 new hives in a year....nor could I afford the £200 required. I am on a tight beekeeping budget which SWMBO attempts to monitor... ..:eek:

pesticides

Your original question was "Is it true bees are dying faster than they are breeding or on similar path, catastrophic, if so why???????????"

My reply was:
Not snide.
Nor meaningless.
Nor irrelevant.
BUT
Factual
The gravity of the situation was underscored , when the European Commission (EC) said it intended to impose a two-year ban on a class of pesticides known as neonicotinoids, now the world’s most widely used type of insecticide. Neonicotinoids are one of the leading suspected causes of colony collapse disorder, and the European Commission announced its controversial decision three months after the European Food Safety Agency concluded that the pesticides represented a “high acute risk” to honeybees and other pollinators

The gravity of the situation was underscored , when the European Commission (EC) said it intended to impose a two-year ban on a class of pesticides known as neonicotinoids, now the world’s most widely used type of insecticide. Neonicotinoids are one of the leading suspected causes of colony collapse disorder, and the European Commission announced its controversial decision three months after the European Food Safety Agency concluded that the pesticides represented a “high acute risk” to honeybees and other pollinators

As Colony Collapse Disorder is not recorded in Europe your point is irrelevant.

As the article says - no CCD in Europe. and no evidence of ineonics being 'the leading suspected cause', just the septic tanks trying to find an excuse for their poor bee husbandry.

Back