Starting to worry about move tomorrow.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel lik a failure...

Well... After much deliberation I have decided not to move them. I think that the bees were telling me something when, even at 6 in the morning they would not let me block their entrance. I have now decided that I am going to keep them in the garden.

Ben P

When I collected a swarm in a hive from our association's swarm catcher he recommended a white sheet covering the whole hive after it had been strapped up. If a few bees escape they stay in the sheet. I have also used a sheet to cover the hive when I have wanted to lift them to put them on new stands.
Louise

hi Mobus - you're right, I should have added that I put on a home-made travel cover with a mesh top, so they were reasonably ventilated at the top. We had to drive them in a landrover down a pretty rutted track, so they were roaring a bit by the time we got them off! However thriving now, and having opened up for a first inspection yesterday (17C here) plemty of brood in all stages, looking promising, regards Andy

I agree with most of the advice, but don't have your veil up when you drive - it reduces your visibility so much that you'll end up having an accident (or getting pulled by the police). Just wear the suit, you can flip the veil up quickly if you have any probs.

I am moving 6 tomorrow!! A lovely chap who had serious surgery this month wants them to go to a caring home :Angel_anim:

Ben- close up late at night- they are already up and about 6am

My limited experience of moving my own bees has usually resulted in a few hangers on that are happy to settle down with their pals during the journey and even when the hive gets hauled through the house.

I accept that it could all get rather nasty in the event of an accident.

You just knew that you didn't want to see them go Ben. Best put a travel screen or two on your purchase or to-do or acquisitions list for the future.

You just knew that you didn't want to see them go Ben. Best put a travel screen or two on your purchase or to-do or acquisitions list for the future.

I do have a travelling screen. But I want to keep my bees at home. Got a nuc as a Christmas prezzie (well picking it up next sat) that will go at my Grandpa's house, and any swarms/splits will go there...

Ben P

Well just as well as i was too late to say preparation the previous day is key - if you are able.

My further tips therefore to anyone contemplating such a task:

Use a screen and put on the day before. If you have not got one then get one _ it is not worth the risk? I bought some reallt good ones at stoneleigh but you can make them from omf mesh. I use solid floors to move as they withstand the ratchet straps pressure. Use edge protectors to stop the straps digging into cedar hives!

I use at least three straps and wrap them two different directions? If you think this is overkill, you should have a video of me shoving the hive in the estate . The floor stayed put and the bb moved an inch. At least a million bees all looking at me doing goldfish impressions.

On the subject of which make life easy for yourself and if using an estate put some plywood or planks on the carpet to slide the boxes on?

I also use foam inserts to semi block the entrance the night before. Keep an eye on the weather forecast. Whats the temperature and sunrise on d day?

On the day, get there b4 the first foragers are up and out. Gently push the foam into place. Make triple sure the blocker cannot come out particularly if it is foam. I swear they are able to shove it out? Lift roof off and bingo! Off you go. Simples because you did it all the day before. Just keep the spray handy and all should be ok.

All the above subject to site specific and personal circumstances. The key issue with this method is that invariably you are underway before they know whats happening and you don't leave any stragglers

Regards

FB

I usually duck tape the foam/grass cuttings in place. And open the windows when travelling to keep car ventilated (and bee free!)

Please please- as mentioned once here- have frames in direction of travel- any sudden braking wont damage the queen-- and I have a notice in back window Caution bees in transit- then my slow driving doesn't get white van man riled- at least he thinks twice after reading :ack2:

Latest posts

Back