starting a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliepuff

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is it possible to start a new hive with just a mated Queen and some attendants, I have done a lot of reading, but seen nothing on this matter. Any ideas very welcome. Thank you.

Last edited:
you will need bees to attend to brood and foragers to collect pollen unless you are going to hand feed...

Is it possible to start a new hive with just a mated Queen and some attendants, I have done a lot of reading, but seen nothing on this matter. Any ideas very welcome. Thank you.

No, that's probably why you've read nothing on the matter - you need quite a few bees as thenovice has pointed out

I would highly recommend joining your local association and doing their entry level course. Then you will be in as strong a position as position to start your journey in to beekeeping!!
Good Luck

Thanks for the swift replies. I am thinking of setting up a National Assembled 6 frame Hive standard deep. can this be done with feeding the bees, or what is a good size nuc to start with. I am not thinking of Honey production for personal use at this time. Thanks.

Forget about the queen and attendants - you cannot progress with this - feeding or no. The 'National Assembled 6 frame Hive standard deep'. Is just a nucleus hive - you will need a fullsize (national 11 frame or similar) hive to house a whole colony. Best to start in late spring with a five frame nuc and transfer them into a full size hive AFTER spending the winter reading a lot more about the craft and preferably attending a beginners course at your local BKA which should leave you fully armed for your first tentative dip into beekeeping.

like they say join an association, do a course. they can get u a cheap nuc and will be a great resource if you need a queen or a test frame, also the insurance is worth it

I would highly recommend joining your local association and doing their entry level course.

:iagree:

Get on with this asap. Courses usually run in the winter and get booked quite quickly. Don't leave it too late.

AFTER you have an organised foundation of knowledge, then you can read round and build on that foundation. However, without getting the basics straight, no foundation, and "castles in the air" …

No. There would be insufficient bees to make a viable colony. Follow the advice posted by others above.

Thanks, for all your input. I shall take on board your suggestions and see if I can find and join a local society or equivalent.

Thanks, for all your input. I shall take on board your suggestions and see if I can find and join a local society or equivalent.

If your location were given more specifically than "south east england", you could get some helpful pointers or introductions from forum members.

Just to try and help. Thirty years ago I decided to keep a few bees and have a couple of jars of honey for breakfast......lol...... I soon learnt my mistake. Bees breed, and breed, and breed. You cannot limit the amount of bees by the size of the box, they will just swarm. You gain nothing by using a small box for a small hive. It just doesn't work. Try an easy bedtime reading book like 'bees at the bottom of the garden' which gives a basic knowledge and wets the appetite for more complicated reading!
Best of luck with your learning curve....mine was steep!
E

I will read that book, thanks for your reply, life is all about learning curves and I love a new challenge, even if I might get stung in the process.
(no pun intended)

A year on and a steep learning curve later looking back to when I was in your position.

1. Absolutely attend a beginners course, Why ... Because books alone cannot and will not ever prepare you for suddenly having a Nuc of ### thousand bees to handle. On a beginners course you will attend practical elements at association apiaries, allowing you to actually experience handling live bees.

2. You will meet other beginners , hopefully local to you who you can contact to share experiences and make friends with.

3 .You hopefully will get a mentor to help you and offer support.

4.it will make the whole journey in beginners beekeeping much more enjoyable.

Best wishes , buckle up and enjoy the ride :)

Latest posts

Back