Started building today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes i am Rooftops

I asked for a quote on 8 gage is that the same ?

I`m sure that he`ll know what you mean. Just drop him an email or give him a ring if your worried. He was answering my emails within about a minute of me sending them. I`ve never had such quick replies :)

Darren.

When doing my OMF I followed this plan. I liked the bit about a built in mouse guard as it saves buying extras and fiddling about. The bees haven't had any problems going in or out and it has the added bonus of a Varroa measuring/capturing board thrown in. It's by Graham White and has further details at the bottom of the article.

Thanks,

Pete.

Thanks for that Pete.
But how do you make the entrance bigger, 8mm to 18mm i think it is. Or is there no need for that.

370mm wide, for a National. That is wide enough for several bees, and a few, to enter/exit at the same time, I have found. All of the year round is probably adequately provisioned by half and less.

The Dartington entrance is only a few mm deep, less than 3 seconds for a crawling bee to traverse the entance? Twenty 'groups' per minute. Soon adds up to a lot of bee flights.

Regards, RAB

When doing my OMF I followed this plan. I liked the bit about a built in mouse guard as it saves buying extras and fiddling about. The bees haven't had any problems going in or out and it has the added bonus of a Varroa measuring/capturing board thrown in. It's by Graham White and has further details at the bottom of the article.

Thanks,

Pete.

I made one of these last year. Very easy to make. Bees had no problems except I put the mesh right at the bottom and the bees built brace comb down to the mesh! I've modded the design to the way it is shown in the diagram and incorporated sliders for the varroa insert.

Thanks,

Pete.

Pete,
i use a very similar entrance on two of my hives and i find it stops wasps quite well

my other floor is one of Tom Bick's with stainless steel Varroa mesh

There is no need to make it bigger than 8mm as that's all the bees need to get in. The idea is 8mm is big enough to stop a mouse getting in and round the bend. So to speak. The 8mm is the only critical measurement, all the other sizes can be changed depending on what wood scraps and type of hive you are using. (I have just made something similar for a Nuc). As the entrance is for the entire width of the hive there is plenty of room for them to get in and out, especially if the landing board sticks out quite a way. The added bonus is it cuts down on draughts and also allows ventilation if you are moving the hive. (No ventilation top screen required for short moves). Also others seem to have success, so recommendation is the best praise anything can get.

Thanks,

Pete

Ok i'll give it ago ,have to make a few mods to the one i have built.
Here's a pic needs another couple of coats of paint and that should do.
apart from felt for the roof and mesh for the floor.
It took about 3 hrs to build so theres no fancey joints :smash:

got there in the end lol

Ok i'll give it ago ,have to make a few mods to the one i have built.
Here's a pic needs another couple of coats of paint and that should do.
apart from felt for the roof and mesh for the floor.
It took about 3 hrs to build so theres no fancey joints :smash:

what size mesh do you need W x L, i have some but its cut for nationals

Hi MuswellMetro
I can't remember i would have to go to the shed and have a look.
I made rebates into the sides so that it could slide in.
I could make a frame maybe , not sure.
i think it's something like 20.5 inches by 15 inches . but thats a guess.

Hi MuswellMetro
I can't remember i would have to go to the shed and have a look.
I made rebates into the sides so that it could slide in.
I could make a frame maybe , not sure.
i think it's something like 20.5 inches by 15 inches . but thats a guess.

mine are 17 1/2 inches by 18 inches, black coated mesh, pm me if you want one, but they are probably toooooo small

Had a look MM and yes too small without remaking the whole floor.
On the next few hives i make i going to do the floor different :)
Thanks for the offer though ;)

How many supers should i have for each hive (max) starting from Nucs in may.
Not long counting the days lol ,can't wait :)

Recomended number is three per hive but as you are starting with a nuc you will probably get away with two for this season and make more next winter:smash:

Regards Mike

Thanks MJBee
I best get back down the shed and start bashing some wood together :)
I have another two to build yet.

Latest posts

Back