stafford beekeepers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loving_allsorts

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hello,

After successfully enjoying keeping a few hens for eggs, and as I am now well aquainted with vegetable and fruit growing I am rather enjoying 'the good life' and wouldn't mind giving bee keeping a bash. I'm learning about it and am at the stage where my 'idea' of keeping bees may just turn into reality.

The main obsticle is the wife. She's not into creepy crawlies at all. She will be happy so long as they stay out of her way. What I need is to have a little look a the way some other folk keep them and wondered if there is anybody in or near Stafford who might not mind us popping round just to see how they 'intrusive' they are in terms of how much more busier the garden is with bees as apposed to ours at the moment. I think she's scared that they will be swarming everywhere.

Is there anybody who might be able to offer this to us? There's a bottle of homemade grape wine (which is sweet like sherry) for anybody who might give us 15 minutes of their time.

If you could drop me an email on [email protected] I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks

Mark

If you fancy a quick trip down the m6 to Sutton Coldfield you are more than welcome to come and see my hive. Hive at the bottom of the garden, about 3 meters away from the veg patch. My wife is very nervous of them, but the bees haven't bothered me or the wife whilst we work the garden.

I have kept bees for about 15 years and the wife has never been stung as for me well dats another chapter am sure she and yourselfs will enjoy keeping bees
and the wife is always walking past the hives hope dis helps

Welcome Mark.

I'm a little way from you so probably not much help for a hive inspection or three. You could do well to contact your local Association who would give all the support that you need. In the main, bees are not very intrusive - they are very good at minding their own business but we should be realistic and understand that they are wild creatures and not fluffy little pets! Beekeepers will get stung. Bees will swarm. Simple.

However, there are ways and means of channeling their energies. It's not easy but, for me at least, probably the most rewarding hobby that I have ever undertaken. Fascinating stuff.

It's not as simple as filling a box with bees. You may find it to be something of a trial, without adequate preparation so I would strongly recommend a season's study, reading and work with a mentor. That said, bees tend to keep themselves happy but there is certainly a skill in being able to 'read' the bees and take appropriate timely action. Don't worry though, because there will be many beekeepers here and elsewhere with years of experience that will freely admit to getting it wrong occasionally and that's what this forum is all about, a wealth of information and guidance in the right direction. Stick around.

Good luck.

You do realize that there's a South Staffs Beekeeping Association. And a North Staffs BKA for that matter.

Thanks for all the help guys,

Sutton coldfield is not too far away but it makes sense first to check out my local 'club'. so Ill do that first. Thanks for the responces. I'll keep digging and may come back to you Ed.

Many Thanks

Mark

Further if you really want to keep bees there is nothing written in stone that says they have to be in the garden.

Mine are not, they are at an out apiary.

In fact I am not keen on garden beekeeping for various reasons, safety being a prime one.

PH

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

If you are only wanting to do a one/two hive operation your apiary go pretty much anywhere. The bees do not need to be kept in the middle of the lawn! By the sounds of it, you have quite a bit of garden so why not just stick them in a quiet corner? Or in a field outside your garden? They will not trouble anyone. If not, follow PH's advice and try to find an out-apiary.

Ben P

As mentioned previously, give these guys a call.

www.southstaffsbeekeepers.co.uk/

They are based at Shugborough and run a very good beginners course (where i got started and already full this year) but they have apiary open days etc. and are usually pleased to help.

Personally, i wouldnt keep bees in a garden unless its a very Large garden with a corner thats well out of the way, when they are in full swing they can take up quite a lot of air space!

Latest posts

Back