Squatters

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Abandoned hives is sadly not an uncommon phenomenon. Beekeepers get old and events overtake them and out-apiaries drop to the bottom of the priority list. I can think of 5 cases within a few miles of me within the last 10 years. In 2 cases the beekeeper had died, 1 had lost interest and subsequently moved away, 1 was due to distraction of a divorce, and 1 remained a mystery.
I wonder if the increased value of bees and hives will make abandonment less likely. When I started in 1999 the going rate was £50 for a full colony in a used National without supers.

Prices certainly have changed as i saw at GBKA auction £260 for a swarm in a hive lol.

Thanks to all replies above.
I can now report that this has been sorted amicably and I was able to help out an obvious beginner who really needed it! No hard feelings and two happy beekeepers.

Heartwarming to hear that both parties kept calm and negotiated to a mutually beneficial ending.

Glad to hear it is all sorted.
How was it resolved? Did you meet them at the hive?

Diseased pig the answer!

You don't own the bees but the hives remain your property unless you deliberately and intentionally abandon them. According to legal text Archibold's Pleading, Evidence, and Practice in Criminal Cases, even if someone discards something and does not intend to use it again, they can retain ownership of it.

"The carcass of a diseased pig, which had been killed and buried by the owner in his own land, and of which he intended to make no further use, was still held to remain his property, so as to support an indictment for larceny against a person who afterwards disinterred and sold the carcass," according to the ruling.(in 1877 and still applies)!

E.G There are numerous stacked and/or apparently abandoned old WBC's/Nationals in a woodland apiary near me, only 3 have bees. There is no ID, name or contact details anywhere on them.
As a new (and poor) beek I would dearly like to have done them up and used them in situ and was very tempted but morally could not. I made enquiries, apparently but not certainly, they belonged to a leading highly revered beek who has died after extended illness, they are therefore part of his estate.
It appears someone at the local association has now taken on the 3 live hives but under what rights I know not. - I'm told they a bit irascible and protective but I shall try to make contact via a note and see if I can mutually work something out.

You do own the bees " So long as bees remain in the hive of the claimant ( owner) and on his premises or premises under his control they are his " other wise people could gust come and shake/ brush them into their own hive and walk away

Latest posts

Back