Sprockers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Hi All, we lost our Bullmastiff in December - and I have hated every second since. I have finally persuaded the family that we should have a new dog - but a puppy...as we have a cat now too.

Does anyone know anything about Sprockers? We have had cockers and springers, labs and of course Winston...so what will I be taking on? Do you get the brains of one and the look of the other or what?

Hi Queens,

Can I suggest that you talk to a rescue centre, Dogs Trust or Margaret Green.
They may have pups in. Our last one from the Dogs Trust is a Cavapoo who was 5 months old when we took him on and we are his third owner. They do have pups at times. All of our dogs (14 I think) over the last 35 years have been rescues so please have a look first they may have what you are looking for.

Tim

PS I should have said that we tend to have between 4 and 6 dogs at a time hence the large turnover. In fact we get a 10% discount from our vets because of the trade we give them. LOL.

Last edited:
This will be the first time our dog isn't a rescue one...simply because all the puppies around here seem to be either rather old pups or breeds we do not want or like...

Hi Queens,

I have a 9 week old Sprocker sat on my lap now, there great fun but very energetic so you do need walk them a fair bit. i will start training with her at about 15 weeks as i intend to have her as a Working/pet dog

Her name is BEE LOL

Sounds great - I hadn't thought of that name - Hubby wants Queenie though :D

Hi Queens,

I have a 9 week old Sprocker sat on my lap now, there great fun but very energetic so you do need walk them a fair bit. i will start training with her at about 15 weeks as i intend to have her as a Working/pet dog

Her name is BEE LOL

You goint to train it to round the bees up lol

OK, how have I done this?? In two weeks I have gone from no dog ...to 2 dogs?! We collect our beautiful Sprocker on October 20th...and get Opal back - the Guide Dog puppy we walked 9 years ago returns in 2 weeks - mmm....must learn to think before yelling 'YES< OF COURSE WE DO!!'

All these fancy names for crossbreeds !
Won't Mongrel do?
I'll get my coat :d
Vm

OK, how have I done this?? In two weeks I have gone from no dog ...to 2 dogs?! We collect our beautiful Sprocker on October 20th...and get Opal back - the Guide Dog puppy we walked 9 years ago returns in 2 weeks - mmm....must learn to think before yelling 'YES< OF COURSE WE DO!!'

That's how we ended up with 6 at one stage. Our last one in is a mongrel or cavapoo. At 5 months old we were his 3rd. home if you don't count the Dog's Trust.

Agree mongrel as they used to be couldnt give them away:sorry:

Cant help thinking of how long it took
for the Jack Russel to be recognised!
My bees are Carnimelifs :)
Definitely donning my coat and hats !
VM

All these fancy names for crossbreeds !
Won't Mongrel do?
I'll get my coat :d
Vm

:iagree:

It never ceases to amaze me the money people now pay for dogs that not that long ago would have ended up in a sack at the bottom of the river.

'Sprockers' is a diferent matter again - just over a cetury ago cockers, springers, field etc. weren't separate breeds they just went by weight - if the litter you'd bred were small they'd be cockers, big, field spaniels and medium - springers; so often dogs from different classes were crossed to try and breed a better dog. Blame the kennel club again!

We deliberately went for a cross this time, as after 4 pedigrees (no papers for 2 but knew history as they were rescued) and FinL bought two, their Bullmastiff and Springer - all of which died of cancer a good 5-7 years early - we wanted to see if a cross would do better...but agree Mongrel - but lovely ...

Latest posts

Back