Spring is expected to be late this year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I LOOK FORWARD TO THE DAY WHEN THE TILTLE OF THE THREAD SAYS

SPRING WILL BE EARLY WITH A HUGE MAIN FLOW AND TONS OF HONEY FOR ALL:svengo:

But if it was, and you haven't started to boost your colonies yet, you would have probably missed it already!

Regards, RAB

Don't give up hope - the cranes heading south today seem to have faith:)

Nice pic mjbee,always good to hear whats going on your side of the channel as its a good heads up for us on the south coast.

cranes heading south

Probably good sign; I would prefer something reported arriving from the south!

Regards, RAB

We now plant mono-crops with a short,well defined flowering periods and expect our bees to be ready for it? 'Fraid not, they are still on their old reliable time clocks and probably wil be long after humans have gone.

This is assuming we don’t wipe the bees out, long before we kill ourselves :)

Well spotted O90O, you would think as a retired helicopter pilot I would know my north from my south:redface:

The cranes were of course heading NORTH:) and are our first sign that spring is close.

In Helsinki we have -20C now and 600 km to north east it is -40C
...and very strong wind. Siberia is here.

Well spotted O90O, you would think as a retired helicopter pilot I would know my north from my south:redface:

The cranes were of course heading NORTH:) and are our first sign that spring is close.

I've been helping a helicopter pilot and his spouse, an ex-heliopter pilot, get into beekeeping.

No cranes on the move up here. The snowdrops and aconites are out though, and the willows on their way.

G.

Interesting that someone said that their bees were flying and bringing back small Q of greyish pollen this week....checked on 2 hives today and they were flying quite nicely (I even got buzzed by one bee) but I could see no sign of any pollen - a bit early if you ask me but the crocuses are about to come out.

Mid range weather forecast is 5 deg C daytime, snow/rain/cold for at least the next week...

Although the bees will never have heard of 'ne'ar cast a 'clought 'till May be out', I suspect they will do what they always do and really start flying when the air temp warms up...March would be my best guess, but I don't have a crystal ball to hand just at the moment !

regards

S

Mine popped out for a couple of hours as soon as the temp went above 6'C. No pollen going in. I gave both colonies 1/2Kg Nektapol to tide them over the next week or so.

Anyone seen any bumblebees yet? Last year they were out early January, nothing so far this year.

Hi

Plenty of hazel out around us and bees working it in the height of the day.

Regards Ian

Hi

Plenty of hazel out around us and bees working it in the height of the day.

Regards Ian

Same here,plus gorse,snowdrops,and the willow is well in bud as well.

Back to square one today with 2 inches of snow.Bees were flying on Wednesday and bringing in a small spec of gorse pollen also working the snowdrops and a few early polyanthus.Thur Fri and Sat temperatures down to minus 4.Snowed overnight - forcast got it wrong again telling me I was going to wake ip to sunshine,instead wall to wall grey cloud and snowing.

Worrying about the weather will not change the outcome one jot.

Last year, pollen going in up to Christmas Eve, quiet for about 7 weeks and flying strongly, day after day, from at least middle of February and taking in lots of pollen.

Surprise, surprise, not the same this year. Much less pollen available, much less flying time, much colder. Everything much later.

It seems to me to be 'heft and feed if necessary' until a liquid feed can be safely administered by those who want to be ready and waiting for the first heavy flow, and then 'comb capping scratching' to encourage clearing of stores from the brood area (for those who have fed fondant unecessarily), unless one has some spare drawn combs available (unlikely for the beginners).

Standard Nationals on just the brood will be running light on stores shortly (if not already), 14 x 12s and 'standard plus a super' may be a different matter. Topography, location, strain and colony strength might also make a big difference to this year's timetable for action, so every colony can be in a different condition at this present time. So don't take anything written, as 'you must follow'.

Survival of the bees is number one priority. If not experienced, leave alone (apart from feeding fondant) is my advice - until the weather shows definite signs of easing from this wintry period. Could be another month, who knows.

Regards, RAB

Put fondant on weakest hive yesterday. Roof off, crown board off, eke containing fondant on, crown board on, roof on again all in about 10 seconds. I watched the hive for a bit afterwards and 3 or 4 bees came out of the entrance, maybe looking for me! I could see bits of fondant falling through the mesh floor, so presumably, they are making use of it.

Latest posts

Back