Spring feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie19

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
This is my first winter as a beekeeper, I've got two hives and so far so good, I think. Both hives were very active over the last couple of days, especially Sunday. Ive been hefting the hives over the winter, today I noticed that they are getting lighter so I thought it might be a good idea to feed them just in case. Do I still need to use fondant, and when can they start being fed on sugar syrup.

Thanks

I wouldn't start feeding sugar syrup until midMarch at the earliest, if the bees are in danger of starving before then, place a thin patty of candy on top of the frames above the cluster. Then feed syrup when the temp is above 10 c .However I am in North East England.

I'd pick a mild day when they are flying and crack the roof to take a peek between the frames. If the cluster is split up and it's a sunny day having it open for 60 seconds isn't going to do any harm. I did it last weekend and could see plenty of stores and the bees where on them.

Wouldn't do any harm to put some fondant on, better safe than sorry.

I won't be thinking about syrup for at least another month or so.

Hi Charlie19,
So far so good, so well done. I bit of fondant on top for reassurance and monitoring is a good idea. However, the hives are supposed to be getting lighter otherwise you will have a lot of Ivy or sugar syrup in there to get rid off come the spring flow if you have one. I would not recommend early spring feeding of syrup to stimulate the colony for beginners as it can lead to either early swarming, starvation or syrup in the honey if not handled correctly.

I placed a carton of fondant on Sunday, coz I have done bugger all for the bee's since October and sense I should be doing something.

I don't think it makes much difference whether fondant or syrup. It is mild enough at the moment to feed syrup and I've done a bit recently. A thick syrup will cause no issues. If you aren't used to hefting then it is possible to give more than needed, but that's a small problem compared to starvation through being over-cautious. A colony getting noticeably lighter already will only burn through the stores quicker and quicker so keep a close eye on their weights whatever you do. March is the real danger time.

In London you can start syrup feeding sooner than in northern counties. Once the bees can get out and about.

I placed a carton of fondant on Sunday, coz I have done bugger all for the bee's since October and sense I should be doing something.

Do they need it? If not, then there's no need to feed - although it's not so easy to gauge the stores in a hive by hefting with a WBC.

I'm always careful about over feeding, they need space to build up in the past I've fed them to the point the queen is limited in laying.

Back