spring feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenovice

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I read somewhere recently, that those in oil seed rape areas should consider feeding a 1 to 1 syrup to stimulate brood expansion, about 6 weeks before the nectar flow of the rape. The idea being that you maximise the amount of foragers when the rape is in full flower.
I am not in an oil seed rape area, but was wondering if and when I need to consider spring feeding?

I've read the same but to ideally feed pollen patties incase they need the pollen for brood rearing.
OSR seems to be a few weeks behind in my area .

I read somewhere recently, that those in oil seed rape areas should consider feeding a 1 to 1 syrup to stimulate brood expansion, about 6 weeks before the nectar flow of the rape. The idea being that you maximise the amount of foragers when the rape is in full flower.
I am not in an oil seed rape area, but was wondering if and when I need to consider spring feeding?

The idea of feeding the weak syrup is to promote quick build up and get the colony as strong as possible as early as possible. The issue with growth feeding is that once started, you need to ensure that you keep it going until they are bringing in enough pollen to sustain the strong colony.

If they are bringing lots of pollen in now, then save your money. If they arent, then you can pretty much start growth feeding now but keep it going until they dont need it.

I am using Neopoll this year but a 2 parts water 1 part sugar solution should do.

Hi Beenovice - is this your 1st winter with bees?

Town bees have access to more pollen and nectar sources than country cousins and the town maybe warmer, so your bees may be collecting nectar/pollen quite happily.

Don't feed to stimulate to a big colony early, feed to stop starvation

Try hefting the hive (lift up hive on 1 side to guage its weight), look through cover board hole - are there sealed stores in the combs? if in doubt put some fondant on, maybe too early for sugar syrup. Going to Spring Convention - you could get pollen patties/ commercial supplement feeds. A block of fondant/icing or patty of pollen suplement on top, you can see that - if its not used up they should not starve

If you feed excessively, early, you have more brood, resulting in larger demand for more food, chances of them starving out in cold/wet period of spring if your stop feeding Or - if it's a good spring and lots of feeding - you get them to swarming state for Easter

Moderation in feeding - they should build up well on their own

More colonies lost in March /April they say as this is when winter stores are exhausted and the demands for food soar.

Hi Beenovice - is this your 1st winter with bees?

Town bees have access to more pollen and nectar sources than country cousins and the town maybe warmer, so your bees may be collecting nectar/pollen quite happily.

Don't feed to stimulate to a big colony early, feed to stop starvation

Try hefting the hive (lift up hive on 1 side to guage its weight), look through cover board hole - are there sealed stores in the combs? if in doubt put some fondant on, maybe too early for sugar syrup. Going to Spring Convention - you could get pollen patties/ commercial supplement feeds. A block of fondant/icing or patty of pollen suplement on top, you can see that - if its not used up they should not starve

If you feed excessively, early, you have more brood, resulting in larger demand for more food, chances of them starving out in cold/wet period of spring if your stop feeding Or - if it's a good spring and lots of feeding - you get them to swarming state for Easter

Moderation in feeding - they should build up well on their own

More colonies lost in March /April they say as this is when winter stores are exhausted and the demands for food soar.

Yes its my first winter. Can you tell?
I have weighed the hive, and they seem to be ok for stores. I have also looked through the hole in the crown board, and there is sealed comb. A couple of weeks ago I added a lump of fondant which they haven't touched.
They have been out and about on a couple of days in the last fortnight, and I have seen them collecting water.
My question really was about maximising the potential for the season ahead, and I guess that has been answered by you advising not to feed too early other than making sure they are not starving.
Thanks for the advice.

Yes its my first winter. Can you tell?
My question really was about maximising the potential for the season ahead, and I guess that has been answered by you advising not to feed too early other than making sure they are not starving.
Thanks for the advice.

IMHO, a reasonable target for the year would be to try to steer a safe "middle course" rather than trying to "maximise" anything!

Realistically, whatever the weather might throw at us, the two extremes to avoid are starvation (game over) and swarming (lose a prime swarm and you've lost the chance of a decent crop from that hive for the year).
Avoid the bunkers, and play for par. That itself is quite an achievement! :)

IMHO, a reasonable target for the year would be to try to steer a safe "middle course" rather than trying to "maximise" anything!

Realistically, whatever the weather might throw at us, the two extremes to avoid are starvation (game over) and swarming (lose a prime swarm and you've lost the chance of a decent crop from that hive for the year).
Avoid the bunkers, and play for par. That itself is quite an achievement! :)

:iagree::iagree: Especially in your first year....

swarms & starvation

:iagree::iagree: Especially in your first year....

and second, third, forth, and now going into fifth !!!!!!!!!!!!
I think i'm getting the hang of it now though (should'nt have said it)!

happy beekeeping

Dave W

Latest posts

Back