Spraying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
More than originally planned
I thought it was very kind of the farmer next door to my out apiary to get a message sent to me that he would be spraying his beans yesterday morning. OK I didn't find out until 8.30pm on Sunday night but that was OK. I went up at 5am and locked the little darlings in. I was anxious, it was hot, would they be ok. So at 1pm I dashed out of work, raced to the apiary and let them out, phew, all OK. Then to my horror a great big tractor with spray arms akimbo came round the corner right next to the apiary in full spray mode. Since when has 1.30pm been "morning." I wouldn't mind but the estate that owns the farm advertises it's honey beer to "protect our pollinators." Perhaps the 20p per bottle they use for this fund could be used to pay the farmer to get up a bit earlier!

Sorry for the rant, I know farmers have to spray crops, I just wish we could all work together a little more coherently.:hairpull:

Sorry for the rant, I know farmers have to spray crops, I just wish we could all work together a little more coherently.:hairpull:

Often spray work is contracted out so the farmer doesn't necessarily do it himself. Also, they need any morning dew to have dried out before they can spray. I know this is of little comfort but working together is best for all concerned. I found that leaving my card with my contact details with the farmer is much better. That way, you can talk direct to each other rather than relying on messages.

Further not EVERY spray is an insecticide so it is actually a pretty big assumption that the sprayer is a death vehicle. Not at all so.

More for the last 7 years I have not shut in my bees on spray days as the farm routinely sprayed some crops 17 times. Now whether it is pure good luck or very good advice I had from one of the biggest UK Bee Farmers not to shut in but I truly found it made no odds.

Your bees, your decisions. But make them on solid knowledge please.

PH

Further not EVERY spray is an insecticide so it is actually a pretty big assumption that the sprayer is a death vehicle. Not at all so.

More for the last 7 years I have not shut in my bees on spray days as the farm routinely sprayed some crops 17 times. Now whether it is pure good luck or very good advice I had from one of the biggest UK Bee Farmers not to shut in but I truly found it made no odds.

Your bees, your decisions. But make them on solid knowledge please.

PH

I totally agree. This is the first time they have tried to notify me so I figured it must be an important warning. I am of course trying to get a direct contact for them and realise they may be using contractors. I'm just upset that's all and will of course calm down before I speak to them. Just needed to let off steam.

What crop are they working on? The sprayer that is.

PH

Last edited:
Field beans. They aren't yet in flower so that is good news. I really wish I had been able to get more information but without a contact number and such short notice I thought I would never forgive myself if the bees got poisoned and I hadn't tried to protect them.

Field beans. They aren't yet in flower so that is good news. I really wish I had been able to get more information but without a contact number and such short notice I thought I would never forgive myself if the bees got poisoned and I hadn't tried to protect them.

Probably aphids they were spraying for, maybe chocolate spot. They'll more then likely get another spray for bruchid beetle later on after flowering

My ex farm ran field beans as part of the rotation every year.

PH

Latest posts

Back