Spotting Eggs through a Nicot Cup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives
My first attempt at using a the Nicot system, queen was put in on the 2nd July & stopper taken out 3rd of July. I was looking through the back of the cups today, and could not see the eggs or new larvae. When I took a cup out I could see an elongated egg. I can spot eggs in comb OK, but not through the plastic of the cup. Does anyone use a magnifying glass and if so what sort of X magnification do I need.
When I took the cassette apart and looked with a jewellers loop it was laid up OK, but you can’t use a loop with a veil, as it needs to be held near the eye.
Looking at another Nicot post tonight, it looks like royal jelly is the key to knowing its transfer time, but I would like to be able to see eggs through the back of the cup so I know I can release the queen.

To see eggs I use a handheld USB torch (pen shaped, light at point) or a magnifying glass with built in leds..

I can only see eggs from the top of the cells.. My varifocals have 25% magnification built in to near vision to help seeing eggs (v helpful optician).
View in sunlight streaming over shoulder..

(not easy for me at 171 years old :paparazzi:)

To see eggs I use a handheld USB torch (pen shaped, light at point) or a magnifying glass with built in leds..

I can only see eggs from the top of the cells.. My varifocals have 25% magnification built in to near vision to help seeing eggs (v helpful optician).
View in sunlight streaming over shoulder..

(not easy for me at 171 years old :paparazzi:)

Thanks, that’s good to know that you can only see them from the top of the cells, I will get an illuminated magnifying glass & look from the top.

Back