Eggs in queen cups/cells in queen mother’s hive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonwig

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
First attempt at managed queen raising started today.

I’m using the Cupkit system. I inspected the chosen queen mother’s hive yesterday, all was well, and placed kit in the hive to get them used to it.

Went back today to put the chosen queen mother in the cage to discover lots of queen cups/cells with eggs in, newly laid, end on, not started to be drawn Took them all down (I hope) but didn’t inspect the bottom box of the double brood, the queen was confined to the top brood box yesterday to make her easier to find today. They weren’t there yesterday, took me three passes to find the queen so all frames well examined.

I’m wondering, assuming the queen lays up the Cupkit cage in the next day or so whether to immediately nuc her if there are more Q cells pulled. Obviously she can’t lay in them until I release her, but the bees might move eggs or draw from existing cells with eggs or larvae.

Anyone any thoughts as to whether removing the queen straight away might impact the eggs in the Cupkit. Can’t think why but maybe others can.

I’ll do a brief inspection of both boxes tomorrow for any queen cells, and release or nuc the queen if there are eggs in the Cupkit. In theory even if there are any I’ve got six days before any missed cells are likely to cap, and will be removing the larvae on day four to the starter colony before then. After which, if needed, I can nuc the queen.

So nuc the queen, or wait?

Thanks

Simon

You can Nuc the queen after the eggs have hatched, why not then use the same hive which will be Q- to rear your cells. They'll rear 20 cells all day long.

You can Nuc the queen after the eggs have hatched, why not then use the same hive which will be Q- to rear your cells. They'll rear 20 cells all day long.
Thanks, yes, good idea. Means my newly made cloak board won't get used...but very pragmatic.

Simon

Update
9 out of 10 cells drawn successfully.

3 cells and 6 virgins placed in 3 frame mating nucs.

On inspection today, 7 laying queens, 2 yet to lay, still time.

Pleased so far, just need to make sure there are no DLQs in a week or so.

How long do folks wait before moving Queens to their new home?

Simon

Latest posts

Back