Some sh!t has attacked one of my hives :(

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[A few pallets stood on end would provide both a barrier against rocks and pellets and make a wind break

That's the kind of thing that I am thinking about. Perhaps should also think about my other hives. A lot of local people know that they are there - I am rather conspicuous as I walk along in my bee suit!!!

Perhaps I need to think about security. Sad but true.

Not necessarily the culprit(s), but remember it is half term holiday in a lot of areas (if not all).

RAB

Kid

Well I never! My very first girl friend lived in Willoughby Waterleys (sic)

re your problem, you can't protect them, all you can really do is hide them, I originally used a screen of Jerusalem Artichokes until a screen of shrubs/trees had matured but that was just to keep children away..

None of the local druggies, hoodies or gangstas would go anywhere near anything that might get their glowing white Nike trainers dirty!

Pyrocantha and Berberis Thunbergii are rather good screens/hedges..........

That's the kind of thing that I am thinking about. Perhaps should also think about my other hives. A lot of local people know that they are there - I am rather conspicuous as I walk along in my bee suit!!!

Is your suit white? A lot of people have beige or olive suits for that reason- might be worth dying it. A friend of mine has a Sheriff Honey rustler jacket in khaki- walking to the hives just looks like a light jacket, zip up and throw the hood up at the last minute.

Ever thought about either a cammo bee-suit or wearing an old cammo jacket over your bee-suit?

Can your bee-suit be dyed anything but star wars storm trooper white?

If possible stick close to hedgerow and stick to any dips in the land.

Carry a shotgun and you will look like a poacher! perhaps not.

Why not just put the beesuit on when at the hives,no need to go walking all around the countryside with it on.

Funny you said that. The person I do bees with puts it on indoors and wanders around school like that. I always think it's like saying "LOOK AT ME!!! I'm a beekeeper!! Aren't I clever!", It annoys me lol, because then I have to walk alongside carrying mine and feel a right twerp

Funny you said that. The person I do bees with puts it on indoors and wanders around school like that. I always think it's like saying "LOOK AT ME!!! I'm a beekeeper!! Aren't I clever!", It annoys me lol, because then I have to walk alongside carrying mine and feel a right twerp

theres two way of looking at that one.
your way and my way.
my is "LOOK at him HE NEEDS protection".

ps i wear my bee suit all over the place but i have a shotgun and want to get called out on swarm calls so a bit off advertising is no harm in my case.

my sympathys to your bees OP hope they landed a few good stings.

Yes, but remember Kazmcc is talking about a school. Maybe it's the only time that person can walk round in relative safety.

Or am I remembering what schools were like half a century ago?

Why not just put the beesuit on when at the hives,no need to go walking all around the countryside with it on.

With the colony that has been attacked I do put my suit on when I get there, but of course the hive is visible at any time once the hedge leaves die back.

As for my local hives, I walk to them, and have usually got my hands full with smoker, hive tool, supers, feeder, syrup etc. so sometimes the most practical solution to moving the bee suit is to wear it.

I am quite active in the community - a lot of people know me and know that I keep bees, so I think that even if I went to do inspections in a false beard and dark glasses, people would still know what I was doing and where I was going.

Looking on the brightside, one of the houses very near my other bees is owned by a total busybody and you can't scratch your arse in the lane to the fields without getting his attention so at least if anyone went down there and started acting all suspicious he would proably see it. He is Neighbourhood Watch Extreme!!!

Kid

Well I never! My very first girl friend lived in Willoughby Waterleys (sic)

Depending on how old you/she are I may have known her as she would have gone to the same schools as I did - though of course as an Englishman and a gentleman, I wouldn't have known her intimately ;)

I personally find it quite disturding that so many kids seem to have access to air rifles and pellet guns. Although I realise its not always just kids. My neighbour has had a few of his sheep shot at, one sheep was found with 8 pellet wounds in it.

Shooting at hives must seem tame if their prepared to shoot at larger livestock.

I personally find it quite disturding that so many kids seem to have access to air rifles and pellet guns.

I don't,i had guns/rifles at an early age,what i find disturbing is the lack of discipline now.

Haven't you heard? They are trying to ban smacking in Wales.

Personally, reading about the sheep with 8 pellets in it, if I caught that little darling I fear I would be the one sufferling the consequences.
Sometimes perhaps it's for the best that we do not catch them eh?

Latest posts

Back