Solitary bee project

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theeggman

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 Cedar + 5 Poly
There was a bit on Radio 4 this am about a survey into solitary bees.

http://thesolitarybeeproject.org/

Just in case you missed it and may be interested. bee-smillie

PS If you want to listen to it it's in the Today prog, at about 7.40 am according to the running order.

Last edited:
I have these in the gate on my drive! went out to work the other morning and couldn't believe the size of a piece of leaf a bee was carrying flying in the hole! Ill have a look at it cheers!

This the the little bee at my work, filling a ridge tile with leaves! Constantly on the go :) do you think they follow any rules if the nest is moved? The ridge is only 2m above? Being a chippy I must of killed thousands of insects (not intentionally) but watching this bee working his socks off over the past 3 days I almost feel for him! :icon_204-2:

Attachments

• IMG_1439.JPG
    IMG_1439.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 8
This the the little bee at my work, filling a ridge tile with leaves! Constantly on the go :) do you think they follow any rules if the nest is moved? The ridge is only 2m above? Being a chippy I must of killed thousands of insects (not intentionally) but watching this bee working his socks off over the past 3 days I almost feel for him! :icon_204-2:

No need to try to move them - they are gentle little souls. Not all have stings and they are difficult to provoke. I stand right in front of my bug boxes, less than a foot from the head height entrances, to watch as the nests build up. Even though I must be, temporarily at least, a right PITA for them, the outbound just pop out of the nest and fly over or around me, and the inbound just wait patiently till I've had my fix!

Latest posts

Back