Solar extractor tray metal?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonstandard

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
9 colonies & 2 nucs
All this sunshine is going to my head, I'm looking at making a solar extractor. It will be a home brewed affair made from the bits and bobs I have lying around here.

Regarding the melting tray are there any metals I should avoid? Aluminium is an obvious choice due to the ease of working it; however, I wondered if it could react with or taint the wax. I do have some stainless but of course it is a lot more difficult to cut and bend.

Failing that could one use a non stick roasting tray, with the good lady's permission of course :)

Last edited:
Or cannibalise the outer of a stainless steel microwave which I did recently ... pretty cheap stainless, so easy to cut and shape.

The suppliers will sell you just the melting tray. A small company fabricating with stainless steel could also make you one.

What's wrong (if anything) with a disposable aluminium roasting tray such as the current Lady DD uses for the Christmas turkey? Saves the hassle of trying to clean the infernal thing.

Last edited:
:hurray: *lightbulb going on* a roasting tray! thank you, can now continue mulling it all over..... :)

Hi stainless is the best metal as it is becoming an essential food contact material in most sectors of the food industry you would ideally use a type classed as 316 however you could get away with 304 this type of stainless is magnetic.

Industry is/has moved away from aluminium as it is possible for it to transfer into the product. Having said that they still sell catering pans made of the stuff.

Cheers

Check the stainless steel regs tho as some years ago there was some which was not allowed to be used with food.... Something on the surface? Friend of mine had to strip it out of his ice cream van...

Line a tray or box with cooking foil...?

Check the stainless steel regs tho as some years ago there was some which was not allowed to be used with food.... Something on the surface? Friend of mine had to strip it out of his ice cream van...

Line a tray or box with cooking foil...?

Isn't that extremely thin ali? Mr Jinx will be on your case lol:leaving:

we KNocked up an extractor and use a baking/roasting tray with holes drilled in the middle sat on top of a bucket with a sieve in it. Works a treat so far. Could be a little larger capacity given the size of the extractor overall, given a budget of about a tenner it works pretty well.

non comprende

we KNocked up an extractor and use a baking/roasting tray with holes drilled in the middle sat on top of a bucket with a sieve in it. Works a treat so far. Could be a little larger capacity given the size of the extractor overall, given a budget of about a tenner it works pretty well.

I dont understand what you mean, non comprende senior!

Eh

Dave W

Given the number of colonies that Nellie has, I suspect that she may be talking about honey extraction.

Unfortunately the actual subject is solar wax extraction (melting).

it's all the references to common cross-over equipment that caused it I'm sure.

I hope that your bucket fills up well this season Nellie.Preferably with honey rather than wax if your colony count is in single figures.

Having picked up a couple of thick Aluminium foil roasting trays for another use today, I should think about a solar wax melter myself.

Latest posts

Back