So many bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig1961

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I added a super to my hive during the last warm spell. I have been inside today to destroy the drone frame I put in to control the varroa. (only found one of the blighters in the frame, so quite pleased)
The brood box is heaving with bees. I was surprised that they had not moved up into the super. Is this due to the cold? I am a little worried about them swarming as the BB is so cramped.
Should I consider an AS? Would someone have a link for an AS when the queen cannot be found?

Any help would be more than welcomed. not worthy
Thanks.
Craig

Is there still room to lay in the BB? Sometimes they are not in a hurry to move it upstairs.

I'd wait till you have charged queen cells before doing the AS.

Jc

Add another brood box underneath.

Why would you want to AS a colony that is (apparently) not even thinking of it ?

Your bees most likely are ignoring the super as it is as you surmise too cold nor is there any good reason to use it as there is not that much coming in the front door.

PH

I have been inside today to destroy the drone frame I put in to control the varroa. (only found one of the blighters in the frame, so quite pleased)

If mite numbers were low, leaving the drones to emerge would promote those genes in local matings. Assuming the low mite number is a response to some genetic trait, it may help as a form of selection. Obviously the reverse - culling drone from colonies with high varroa levels - operates as a form of selective (restrictive) breeding too. This is of course what collapse due to varroa does anyway, really you're just restricting the ability of the vulnerable colonies to mate before they collapse.

Clearly this only has a positive impact if the varroa level is directly related to an inheritable trait demonstrated by that colony.

really you're just restricting the ability of the vulnerable colonies to mate before they collapse.

Dan, colonies don't collapse due to their poor drones....

Back