Smokers: A cautionary tale.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumberman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 and ahem "a few more"
Went to out apiary ( to put in a clearer board) and when finished, bunged up smoker with grass and waited until it was cool to the touch. Drove home with smoker in passenger footwell of SWMBO's car. Forgot to remove it. About 5 hours later, got in car to drive back to get supers- noticed smoky smell.

Smoker had relit because grass bung had dried in car, allowing oxygen back into smoker. I presume this had just occurred as smoker was now too hot to touch. Took it out of car, opened it, gave it one puff and fuel was fully alight.

A very close call - IIRC Rab(o2o) had his car incinerated as a result of this.

From now on, smoker gets emptied of fuel after use.

Thankfully avoided a most awkward conversation with the wife..........

Or store in a mini metal dustbin.

My problem is i cant keep mine alight long enough let alone for it to relight in the car.

I plug mine with grass or more usually a cork or foam rubber.

Canna say I have ever had an issue, but what fuel are you using?

PH

Long ago I decided that the risk from a smoker reigniting and emptying the smoker of perfectly good fuel ater every use was too much hassle. So now its one smoker per out apiary stored in a covered galvanised bucket. I squirt a bit of water from a plant sprayer into the smoker and bung the hole in the top with grass.

I plug mine with grass or more usually a cork or foam rubber.

Canna say I have ever had an issue, but what fuel are you using?

PH

Farmer at out apiary turns wood as a hobby, so I use the shavings.

Which it seems burn a bit hot, try rotten wood or sacking if you can get it.

PH

I mix old sack cloth with cardboard, always works for me.

A very close call - IIRC Rab(o2o) had his car incinerated as a result of this

Nope. My smoker was with me at the bees at the time. Not sure what caused the conlagration, but it was not through leaving a lighted smoker in the car.

A very close call - IIRC Rab(o2o) had his car incinerated as a result of this

Nope. My smoker was with me at the bees at the time. Not sure what caused the conlagration, but it was not through leaving a lighted smoker in the car.

Apologies Rab. Don't know where I got that idea from......

Wasnt there a story on here of someone who left a smoker in his car and went shopping, coming back to a car with windows smashed in by the Fire Brigade and a well doused car interior. Apparently the smoker started up again, filled up the car with smoke and a passer by dialled 999.

Last edited:
Wasnt there a story on here of someone who left a smoker in his car and went shopping, coming back to a car with windows smashed in by the Fire Brigade and a well doused car interior. Apparently the smoker started up again, filled up the car with smoke and a passer by dialled 999.

It could well have been the fiireman/beekeeper from West Yorkshire, but that was a few years ago way before this forum existed.

:eek:thing is was the carpet damaged if not i bet the car smells nice and woody
lesson learnt for me thanks for the heads up:eek:

I bung a cork in mine and leave it on the conctrete path (assuming its not raining) when fully cool I tip the contents out into an old buscuit tin and fill it with water.

I tend to drive over my smoker in my car, it putts it out completely with no hope of reigniting ....ever again.

New smoker winging its way to me from c w jones......

Back