Smoker Peril !!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
:mad::mad::mad:I have struggled with my smoker today... nothing would stay alight and smolder efficiently.. new hessian sack must have had a fire retardant on it ... as with the cardboard... run out of donkey droppings,,, resorted to dried rotten wood and dried chicken bedding... eventually got a reasonable wiff of smoke, then the beast went out again and I gave up.

Usually I lay the smoker on its side stuff a cork in it and allow to go out, ready for the next time.
Today I just left it upright in the corner of the garage....

Neighbor just banged on my door to say my garage is on fire with smoke billowing from under the door.......

I struggled with my smoker today !

:sifone:

Give it a really good clean checking inlet, outlet and all internal holes. They block up really quickly when you remove all the oxygen. Poke around and it will soon be going again! But not in the garage!!

Last edited:
Give it a really good clean checking inlet, outlet and all internal holes. They block up really quickly when you remove all the oxygen. Poke around and it will soon be going again! But not in the garage!!

the shed or the smoker ? ;)

In future I am going to empty it out instead of being a skinflint and trying to save the fuel... after all that nice Mr Cameron gives me £50 every winter in fuel supplement now!!!

I have struggled with my smoker today... nothing would stay alight and smolder efficiently..

All part of learning,as you become more experianced you will have less of these trivial problems.

:biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

When I get the AMM improvement going nicely there will be no need for smoke they will be so quiet on the comb!!!

Then you will have nice calm bees like my Buckfasts,which are not far from you, if you need to get some good matings.:biggrinjester:

Then you will have nice calm bees like my Buckfasts,which are not far from you, if you need to get some good matings.:biggrinjester:

Fortunately we are the right side of the Tamar.. and witches will not traverse flowing water :biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

probably either way !!!

In future I am going to empty it out instead of being a skinflint and trying to save the fuel...

I empty mine into an old biscuit tin, a metal one, and then close the lid.

:biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

When I get the AMM improvement going nicely there will be no need for smoke they will be so quiet on the comb!!!

Having had them the best thing is a can of petrol to keep them quiet but really do hope they are all you expect not worthy
S

Having had them the best thing is a can of petrol to keep them quiet but really do hope they are all you expect

Strange I think thay about the Carniolians I am hanging onto !
good feeder bees for apidea tho...

Buckfasts... /????/ can also (IMOVLE) get a bit aggressive... I suppose it all depends upon their gene mix which particular alien bee import they have been allied with or whatever... BA's original brew were from what I understand an excellent improved bee and some have attempted to continue the work on bee improvement.

Sometimes it is best to go back to square one and start over !

Latest posts

Back