Smoker Fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well rotted wood - the stuff you can rip off a dead tree in chunks. Easy to light and smells fine. I pick some up whenever I'm getting low when I take the dogs for a walk - just pop some in a plastic dog pooh bag to take home.

Dave

Well rotted wood - the stuff you can rip off a dead tree in chunks. Easy to light and smells fine. I pick some up whenever I'm getting low when I take the dogs for a walk - just pop some in a plastic dog pooh bag to take home.

Dave

I do this too Dave.
Best time to pick it up is after it has been really windy - all the dead branches will have fallen down. I break them up and put them in the warming oven of the rayburn for a day or so to thoroughly dry them out.

Dave

Just don't get the bags mixed up or the girls won't be happy!:eek:
Tried a few things so far - cotton and corrugated cardboard but On the river bank where I fish there's the remains of two poplars that were blown over in a storm nearly twenty years ago, they're now so rotten it's almost like a sponge, took some home, left it in the greenhouse for a week, lights so easily it almost doesn't need any paper, loads of cool, not too pungent smoke - I've now got a sackful and more next time I go down there! :D

Single piece of kitchen role to start then load up with hay seem to do the job and one charge gets me through a couple hours.

Single piece of kitchen role to start then load up with hay seem to do the job and one charge gets me through a couple hours.

I'be never tried hay before. Have got tons of it hanging around for the sheep though.
I take it you have to compress it as much as possible otherwise it would burn through really quickly?

Yea start the smoker of slowly and just keep pushing keep bellows going when loading and put in next load once max smoke achevied. I have std 3" smoker and it takes about 3 tight tennis ball clumps. Becareful if loading in the barn...

Just don't get the bags mixed up or the girls won't be happy!:eek:

I do the same thing when I'm picking blackberries - now you don't want to mix those up. I do get funny looks when I eat some of the contents of those pooh bags as I'm walking the dogs :)

Dave

smoke

Chatting at the last meeting a beekeeper stuffs empty loo rolls with shredded paper said it works a dream.any one else use this method?

I have heard of it but never tried it, don't think it would last long, up in a puff of smoke I should think, well rotted wood works fine

As small smoke as possible.
Blue smoke is enough. Bees öbey it.

Absolutely not needle, cones, grass, wax, bark,

only rotten birch or same level of smoke

No tar allowed or white smoke.

White smoke is tar gas. It attaches onto comb and honey surface.
Tar glues the smoker tightly closed

Last edited:

Mad Smoker Idol contest!

You may phone ..666..!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j7xKa3ViI&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:

The best smoker fuel ever

Inonotus obliquus, commonly known as chaga mushroom

I may fire it with car's cicarette lighter.

It a party fun. You may arrange a competition who makes first the fire with rubbig stick. It really gets fire.

You may dry it up in the sun or in microwave oven. It gives hardly visible smoke but odor makes its duty.

Rotten the wood behind this polypore is very good stuff too

3019418288_59c7192690.jpg

Last edited:
You may need to export it to us!!! Our trees aren't deceased like that!!? Except for chestnut, oak and now ash!

Ash tree imports are banned now I think.

Correct but shut gate after horse bolted comes to mind.
We always seem to be playing catchup or have we actual managed to catch it in time?

Russ

Latest posts

Back