Smoker fuel?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iv been using egg boxes highly recommended in lots of books but im not impressed they seem to burn too hot

Cardboard packaging is good but high in tar, wood shavings are best (from a plainer) for producing copious amounts of cool smoke.

Cardboard packaging is good but high in tar, wood shavings are best (from a plainer) for producing copious amounts of cool smoke.

Depends on what kind of timber the shavings are from, regarding tar....and shavings from monkey puzzle are buggers to keep alight.

I tried hickory chips used in my ABBU fish smoker...... bees not impressed, can not imagine what flavour honey it could have produced??

Had a tin of honey once in Israel that had a distinct Christmassy aroma of cloves and cinnamon!!

You could try Aspen bedding from the pet shop, it's bone dry, should not have much resin in it, very clean.
John

Smoker

You could try Aspen bedding from the pet shop, it's bone dry, should not have much resin in it, very clean.
John

I use well dried drift-wood from the beach near Hinkley Point PS. Smoke irradiates the bees and sees off the Varroa, two birds with one stone! :hurray:lol
Regards
TBRNoTB

I use well dried drift-wood from the beach near Hinkley Point PS. Smoke irradiates the bees and sees off the Varroa, two birds with one stone! :hurray:lol
Regards
TBRNoTB
We get some of that glow in the dark driftwood on Porlock beach.lol.

Latest posts

Back