Smoker Fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karsal

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 Pay*es Poly Hives 7 Poly Nucs
Over the years I've tried numerous materials for my smoker and most of them have worked fine but some cause a lot of tar build up.
This last few weeks I have used pieces of old cotton Tee Shirts and old cotton terry towels in my smoker with excellent results. They have smoldered and smoked for over two hours with good amounts of smoke no tar build up and would have lasted at least another hour.
They can be picked up at car boot sales for pennies.

Over the years I've tried numerous materials for my smoker and most of them have worked fine but some cause a lot of tar build up.
This last few weeks I have used pieces of old cotton Tee Shirts and old cotton terry towels in my smoker with excellent results. They have smoldered and smoked for over two hours with good amounts of smoke no tar build up and would have lasted at least another hour.

Now there's a use for those nicked hotel towels. ;)

DO you roll them up, Karsal, or just stuff them in?

I use wood pellets,the type you use in fire stoves and they seem to burn for ages.they work out about 5 euro's a 15kg sack and they smell nice and don't tar up your smoker.

DO you roll them up, Karsal, or just stuff them in?

Just pushed the material in loosely.
In answer to Finman. I have a cork bung to block the end of the smoker when finished and lay the smoker on it's side. This seems to starve it of oxygen and it goes out after a while.

Just pushed the material in loosely.
In answer to Finman. I have a cork bung to block the end of the smoker when finished and lay the smoker on it's side. This seems to starve it of oxygen and it goes out after a while.

I pour fuel stuff off and then I put piece of foam plastic matress than smoker does not stink.

I wonder, why the smoker should burn for ages with couple of hives.

Twelve colonies at the moment

I stop off at the local forest and pick up rotten wood, burns great. Mind I need a bigger smoker which I'll get this winter, had to refill mine 3 times!

after using all kinds of fuel I'm now on touch wood (dry rotten wood) with pine needles, I have to say that I like the burn of the wood at first but it has to be topped up otherwise it ends up getting too hot, I might try the cotton fabric but doesn't it stink?
having worked for a T shirt printing company I still remember vividly how bad the smell of burnt shirts was when they got stuck in the drying tunnel

I use mainly pine wood shavings with the top of the smoker packed with wet grass to stop and smouldering bits blowing out on the bees (not that i use it much) the tar does build up from pine but one minute of scraping with a stick it is easily removed.

I use mainly pine wood shavings with the top of the smoker packed with wet grass to stop and smouldering bits blowing out on the bees (not that i use it much) the tar does build up from pine but one minute of scraping with a stick it is easily removed.

Pine is best tar maker.

Wet grass?

You cannot find worse aroma onto your honey.

after using all kinds of fuel I'm now on touch wood (dry rotten wood) with pine needles, I have to say that I like the burn of the wood at first but it has to be topped up otherwise it ends up getting too hot, I might try the cotton fabric but doesn't it stink?

having worked for a T shirt printing company I still remember vividly how bad the smell of burnt shirts was when they got stuck in the drying tunnel

When I started up I bought a few packs of the unprocessed cotton smoker fuel and it takes a while to settle into cool white smoke from the initial yellow acrid smoke. I hardly puff the bellows at all and it works ok but it produces lots of tar. If you pump the bellows it goes back to being offensive acrid smoke again.

When it runs out I will go back to plain compressed wood pellets I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will and will let you know. Similar to wood pellets but I would imagine they will smoulder better....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Our local SBI used a sort of wood chip material that is sold as horse bedding. It produced cool smoke and lasted a long time - I don't know the commercial name of this stuff.

I use dried teabags. Instead of throwing away used teabags, I put them near a window in my shed and they dry out quite quickly. Lit newspaper gets them smouldering in the smoker. One filling lasts about an hour.

CVB

Our local SBI used a sort of wood chip material that is sold as horse bedding. It produced cool smoke and lasted a long time - I don't know the commercial name of this stuff.

I use dried teabags. Instead of throwing away used teabags, I put them near a window in my shed and they dry out quite quickly. Lit newspaper gets them smouldering in the smoker. One filling lasts about an hour.

CVB

Dear Lord you must drink some tea or own a cafe to get enough tea bags for even for one inspection.

Latest posts

Back